BtS: City Raider ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BtS: City Raider ignored

Hi there, on my game I am trying to attack a city with a Swordsman that has the City Raider ability, but he is still attacking with a rating of 6.

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,

Adam

AFAIK there were some promotions that increased the atackers strength and some promotions that lowered the defenders strength.

If I remember correctly city raider fell into the latter category.
    So you should calculate if perhaps the defender has the percentage you get frm city raider subtracted from his srength.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Thanks a lot! I thought this was a bug and it was discouraging me from playing. My enemy is an Axeman with a power of 5. So after his bonuses he should have a power of 11.5 but it is only 7.25.

Once again, thank you

Comment

That's new to BtS, does anyone know why they changed it?

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
          AFAIK there were some promotions that increased the atackers strength and some promotions that lowered the defenders strength.

So you should calculate if perhaps the defender has the percentage you get frm city raider subtracted from his srength.
          I don't think that's what's happening here, though.

Comment

Unless it was removed in BTS, there should still be an easy way to get the odds of an attack without commiting along with such details as which modifiers were applied.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix
              That's new to BtS, does anyone know why they changed it?
              I don't believe that is new to BtS. IIRC, that's always how City Raider has worked.

Comment

Correct, thats' always the way it worked.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I don't think that's what's happening here, though.
                  That's what I thought at first too, but indeed it is what's happening [or the inverse, which is identical]. It turns out the +85% from CRIII is countered by the -85% from the axeman's bonii. I think CRIII is actually the -85% and the axeman's bonii are the +85%, but it could be the reverse, I have no idea.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

That's exactly what happened here:

The 85% CR bonus is subtracted from the defender bonus of 130% to yield a net 45% bonus. It has to be an axe defending and if so it yields a defence of 7.25.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

I don't believe that is new to BtS. IIRC, that's always how City Raider has worked.
                      It certainly does this in Warlords.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Fair enough, I thought they all added but obviously am not very observant...

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

That's exactly what happened here:

The 85% CR bonus is subtracted from the defender bonus of 130% to yield a net 45% bonus. It has to be an axe defending and if so it yields a defence of 7.25.
                          That may be what happened, but it isn't "right".

Using the example given, the axeman's base strength of 5 was increased 45% (+130% for its defense boni - 85% for the swordman's attack boni) while the swordman's strength was left at 6, so the attacker/defender ratio was 6/7.25 or ~0.83. If instead of decreasing the defender's bonus the "+85% city attack" bonus did what it said and increased the attacker's strength by 85%, then the attacker/defender ratio would have been 11.1/11.5 or ~0.97.

Let's apply this to a less-balanced attack. An archer in a city with a +250% bonus attacked by a modern armor with a +85% city attack bonus. Using the method which seems to be in effect, the archer only gets +165% for a strength of 7.95 while the MA stays at 40, for an A/D ratio of ~5.03. If the MA's bonus was applied to the MA, then the strengths would be archer=10.5 and MA=74, for an A/D ratio of ~7.05. Granted, both ways give pretty lop-sided wins and the MA probably walks (drives) away without a scratch, but 7-to-1 is better than 5-to-1 no matter what. Of course, if the defender were stronger to begin with, the problem skews the other way - lessening the defeneder's advantage more than it should.

Let's try one more (hypothetical) battle. Attacker and defender both with a base strength of 10. The attcker has a +50% "attack" bonus and the defender has no bonus. If the bonus is applied to the attacker, the battle is 15 against 10, or 3-to-2. If the "anti-bonus" is applied to the defender, the battle is 10 against 5, or 2-to-1. Makes a big difference here.

Truth-in-advertising: a +x% attack bonus should increase the attacking unit's strength by x%, not decrease the defending unit's strength by x%. An attacking tank (strength 28) should get +7 if it has a +25% bonus, not have the defending infantry (strength 20) lose 5. If it's the other way around, it should be a "reduces defender's strength x& bonus".
                          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by patcon

That may be what happened, but it isn't "right".

Truth-in-advertising: a +x% attack bonus should increase the attacking unit's strength by x%, not decrease the defending unit's strength by x%. An attacking tank (strength 28) should get +7 if it has a +25% bonus, not have the defending infantry (strength 20) lose 5. If it's the other way around, it should be a "reduces defender's strength x& bonus".
                            It might simply be an undocumented feature although it is widely known that it is only the "generic" bonuses that ALWAYS increase the combat strength. The other bonuses are compared with each other so that only the higher bonus gets counted after reducing it by the lower bonuses.

It is not a question of right and wrong but simply how the combat values are calculated. You might as easily say that a 6 v 3 combat should rightly give a 67% to the attacker and a 33% chance to the defender.

I doubt we would have people complaining too much when they see that the +100% treb bonus gets deducted from the longbow defenders. Or maybe here the complaint there will be that the defender strength (Longbow+50%) should be 0.3 (6 minus 145% plus 50%)

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion

It might simply be an undocumented feature although it is widely known that it is only the "generic" bonuses that ALWAYS increase the combat strength. The other bonuses are compared with each other so that only the higher bonus gets counted after reducing it by the lower bonuses.

It is not a question of right and wrong but simply how the combat values are calculated. You might as easily say that a 6 v 3 combat should rightly give a 67% to the attacker and a 33% chance to the defender.

I doubt we would have people complaining too much when they see that the +100% treb bonus gets deducted from the longbow defenders. Or maybe here the complaint there will be that the defender strength (Longbow+50%) should be 0.3 (6 minus 145% plus 50%)
                              You beat me to it, so, um, QFT!

Comment

Working...
                              X