Direct2Drive and STEAM Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct2Drive and STEAM Guide

Civ4 Vanilla v1.74 and Warlords v2.13 are the latest versions also available on STEAM and Direct2Drive with Beyond the Stars releasing July 24. I would imagine BtS will be up to date on release.

You must have the latest version revision of Direct X 9.0c as of July 10/2007 in order to play patched Civ IV and any of the expansions or you will encounter "d3dx9_32.dll error" In STEAM you may not see an error message at all. In which case if you manually try and run Civilization4.exe you will see the error. Copy the link below and remove "http://apolyton.net/go.php" as Apolyton seems to be having problems redirecting from the forum. At least with my Explorer I am having problems accessing external links.

Direct 2 Drive:

All Direct 2 Drive games require unique patches from the Direct 2 Drive website. They are the same as the retail patches but slightly modified to use the Direct 2 Drive copy protection. The latest updates are available on the Direct 2 Drive website below.

Direct2Drive is one of the original and longest running PC core game digital distributor founded in 2004. Direct2Drive’s offering covers the most AAA publishers of all digital distributors for direct to download and STEAM platform keys. We here at Direct2Drive, will continue to build upon the current foundation to deliver a better way to Discover, Discuss, and Purchase games. It is our belief that the future of games is through digital distribution and we will continue to give our consumers a better way to game.

STEAM:

If you purchased Civilization IV or any expansion packs from STEAM as of July 20 you should already have the latest version otherwise the updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

INFO:

In order to see which version you have from the main menu in Civ IV go to "Advanced" and then "About This Build"

For Vanilla Civ IV this is what you should see with the latest version installed. Warlords should look simular with the Build Version being 2.1.3.0 but I do not have Warlords to confirm that.

Civ Version 161
    Save Version 103
    Build Version 1.7.4.0
    BUILD FINAL RELEASE

Wed May 16 2007

BtS was released today on STEAM at around 1:45pm PST. Some people are having some problems.

I get the Error: 'This game is currently unavailable' when connecting through Steam

If your still having problems and running Windows Vista:

1. If you are logged in, please exit Steam and kill the Steam process.
    2. Navigate to the Steam installation folder (C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ by default) and right-click on the Steam.exe file
    3. Select Run as administrator...

Multiplayer Compatibility Issues

Despite the STEAM release and retail having the same version number and patch status when conntecting to a retail host or vice versa you will show as running a MODDED version of Civ 4 BtS.

For reference information:

Civ Version: 302
    Save Version: 300
    Build: 3.0.2.94 (75914)
    Buil Date: Thursday July 12 16:24:34 2007
    Build: Final Release
    Mod Name: None

Wether or not anything can be done about the multiplayer compatibility I don't know but I'm not happy to say the least.

Comment

I purchased the D2D version of Warlords a month ago and had Zero problems with the download/install. I purchased the D2D version of Beyond the Sword yesterday and I'm still trying to get it to work.

Problem 1: 50KBps download speed on a 1.6G file. I have a 10mbps connection... it's not on my end.

Problem 2: I was told at one of the forums... not sure which (take2? firaxis? D2D?) it was my DirectX runtime causing errors when I attempted to execute. Went to D/L the June2007 update from MS and it just times out every time I try. Thanks for that, MS!

Problem 3: BtS D2D Installer gives no option to change installation path and puts everything in C:/Windows. Uh... WTF? As a result, it can't see my CIV4 installation (on an entirely different partition) and gives me an endless stream of XML errors when I start the application. Beside that, I don't want 1.6 gigs of game installed in my windows directory, thank you very much.

If I have to download this program again, it will be the last time I deal with IGN. I am pretty mad right now... how do you screw up the most integral part of an installation package? Am I the only one having this problem? Is it because I renamed my Civilization IV directory to "Civ4"?

Comment

It sounds like that might be an issue.

I downloaded the program yesterday afternoon from D2D to my laptop at work. (It varied from 50bps to 350 during DL). WHen I got home, I copied it to my LaCie external HDD via USB, then plugged the HDD into my home desktop, then ran the install program off the external HDD. It installed from the external directly to the C:\ internal HDD. (I admit that the inability to set the install path kind of threw me, but my files were all where it expected to find them.) I didn't have any problems at all.
        "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by sweetjimmy
          I purchased the D2D version of Warlords a month ago and had Zero problems with the download/install. I purchased the D2D version of Beyond the Sword yesterday and I'm still trying to get it to work.

Problem 1: 50KBps download speed on a 1.6G file. I have a 10mbps connection... it's not on my end.

Problem 2: I was told at one of the forums... not sure which (take2? firaxis? D2D?) it was my DirectX runtime causing errors when I attempted to execute. Went to D/L the June2007 update from MS and it just times out every time I try. Thanks for that, MS!

Problem 3: BtS D2D Installer gives no option to change installation path and puts everything in C:/Windows. Uh... WTF? As a result, it can't see my CIV4 installation (on an entirely different partition) and gives me an endless stream of XML errors when I start the application. Beside that, I don't want 1.6 gigs of game installed in my windows directory, thank you very much.

If I have to download this program again, it will be the last time I deal with IGN. I am pretty mad right now... how do you screw up the most integral part of an installation package? Am I the only one having this problem? Is it because I renamed my Civilization IV directory to "Civ4"?
          Move your BTS folder to the correct place inside your Civ4 folder. That may give some registry issues, if so you should be able to fix them in the registry [search for the name of the bts executable, then fix the path names to the correct ones].

Alternately, move your civ4 folder to the expected place and name, reinstall BtS (shouldn't need a redownload), and then move everything back.

My guess is it's pulling the install dir from the Civ4 reg key which did not update when you renamed the Civ4 folder. Unless you did that during Civ4 install, anyway, in which case the installer was written by a moron... it should at least check the registry, that's what it's for
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm still having problems getting the install to work from the box disk, and Take2 doesn't seem to have an answer; I think I might ante up again to get a DL version.

I've never bought one before... any preference for Steam or D2D? Also, will there be any issues installing a DL version of BTS over disk versions of Civ4 and Warlords?
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

No. Get it from direct2drive.

Comment

Theseus, I don't know a whole lot about either service, but you might want to check this thread on CFC. Apparently Direct2Drive has limited installs whereas Steam does not.

Don't know what the other differences are, though.

Comment

Working...
                X