updated via steam... now doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updated via steam... now doesn't work

Okay, I just bought Civ4 through STEAM. I'm running Vista. After buying the game, I happily played it all this morning. I had lunch, and I came back to play a little more. When it came time to launch, it installed an update. Now, it won't launch at all, I'll get an error message saying that windows was forced to close it. Any ideas what's going on?

I believe the latest patch also requires you to update DirectX.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Saw a simular post over on the STEAM forums and it does look like you need to update your Direct X. Someone else over there has already confirmed the update does indeed work with the STEAM version so they are not using different EXE just the STEAM process to authenticate the purchase which is linked to the STEAM account.

Comment

linky?

windows update doesnt show a directx update. i'm fairly certain that i have the latest directx anyways, and the webinstall won't download. the latest is 1.52, right?

Comment

No, the latest directx is 10th but I guess you need 9.0c april release at least.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I meant the latest civ release is 1.52.

I'm running this on an ati mobility x300 if that counts for anything.

I'm running vista and windows update says that my system is completely up to date.

Comment

do a search for D3DX*.* and if it is not D3Dx9_32.dll then update it.
              You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
              There is a reason for everything.

Comment

alrighty, did the dx9 update. works fine now.

Comment

Working...
                X