Do I need to buy warlords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to buy warlords?

So there are two packages on STEAM that I'm looking at. One is $49.99 and it has Beyond the Sword + Civ 4. The other is $74.99 and it is Beyond the Sword, Civ $, and Warlords. For the latter pack, all that I would gain would be the handful of scenarios that ship with Warlords, correct?

Don't buy the Warlords one.
    If you just only buy Civ4+BtS, you'll have all Warlords features, except the scenarios indeed.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I've been looking through various Civilization IV forums and fansites this morning for answers to the same question. I have never really been one to get excited about scenarios anyways but the AI upgrades/mechanics and extra civilizations, leaders, units, and wonders would be nice.

Was thinking about grabbing the Direct 2 Drive Pre-Order Civ IV + BTS. Only downside is no DVD or manual. The latest patch has not been posted either but I am sure it will coincide with the BTS release. On the plus side it's priced cheaper than retail packages here in Canada from EB, Future Shop, and Best Buy. I don't really need a manual but I do like to have something interesting to read while I'm on the crapper.

Best Buy and Future Shop both still have Original Civ IV priced at 59.99 CAN (According to their websites) which can't be right. Hell it should be 39.99 by now. Ultimately I would like to get the retail boxes at 39.99 and 29.99 CAN but I am not sure if that is possible yet. Direct2Drive has the Civ IV + BTS pre-order bundle for 59.95 US and you can download Civ IV and play while you wait for BTS to be released.

Nothing is ever easy these days lol. I just want to play some Civ IV with the latest features and upgrades. I'm not really interested in some of the included mods or scenarios.

Is it official that the only thing missing from BTS is the scenarios for Warlords?

Comment

Yep.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Well that is one piece of the puzzle solved then thanks fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
            Don't buy the Warlords one.
            If you just only buy Civ4+BtS, you'll have all Warlords features, except the scenarios indeed.
            Wow, that makes BTS even more of a bargain for those who don't care about the scenarios in Warlords, but want the Civs and units. (love me my Trebs!)

I already have Warlords, but I can see someone with just vanilla Civ (or a not-yet-Civer) buying Civ 4 and BTS and getting all of the units and Civs easily. Very nice.

I seem to recall Civ 3 did *not* do it this way.

Comment

Actually, for Civ 3, Conquests included the PTW exe in addition to the conquests exe. They are in fact in seperate folders.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Yeah... I don't believe BTS will include the Warlords EXE, so you'll not be able to play against Warlords people. This probably only affects MP [in that BTS includes the features of Warlords, so for SP you're fine, but for MP you'll not be able to play against Warlords players, only BTSers or Civ4 vanilla-ers].
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

No CD hack here I come.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

*ahem*
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm not pirating the game if I already have Warlords.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                      X