LEAVE A MESSAGE: CALL...
      (301) 637-7659 (North America)
      +44 20 7871 7659 (Europe)
      ... In via Skype (Software, Call Free)

LEAVE A NOTE: TYPE...
      Click to Post a Question in this Thread

DEADLINE: August 03rd, 2007 | 11:59PM EDT
     TERMS*: Limit 2 questions per person

Your questions, their answers. Firaxis Games Software Engineer Alex "alexman" Mantzaris and Lead Designer Jon "Trip" Shafer will be guest co-hosts on the twenty-second episode of PolyCast, the official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site.

You've just gotten or you're about to get your own copy of the second Civilization IV expansion pack, Beyond the Sword, the most diverse and extensive expansion in the Civ series to date. Phone, VoIP or post your questions on BtS for Mantzaris and Schafer, the co-Lead Designers on this title between now and August 3rd at 11:59PM EDT. The PolyCast team will pre-select the questions to be asked from those submitted according to the terms outlined. Priority will be given to those who call in their questions via phone or VoIP -- indeed, say what you want to say and how you want to say it to Mantzaris and Shafer without the aid of emoticons!

Where identities are verifiable and service available, those whose questions are selected for use in this episode will receive a six-month subscription to "PLUS!", ACS' optional subscription service. Recording of this episode is to occur on August 4th, and watch for its release scheduled for August 10th.

* Limit 2 questions per person in English only. You may additionally comment in your message or note but you are to ask at least one question for the duo. Criticism is acceptable where constructive but avoid using profanity, libel and hate speech. Please preface your question(s) with your name and/or forum handle and where in the world you are calling from.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Criticism is acceptable where constructive but avoid using profanity, libel and hate speech.

Comment

Awesome that you got them into the Polycast, Dan! Congrats!
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I have a few Warlords PBEM's and PitBoss games going.

Will I have to use the Warlords CD to get into those games or will the BtS CD sufice?

I hate that in the MP interface and elsewhere you have to sometimes mouse click the "OK" button instead of being able to just hit "enter" on the keyboard.

Why did you make it so that we had to use the mouse instead of the keyboard?

Comment

Do you think Civ can compete with games such as World in Conflict for the attention of MP players?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            Covering our bases.

Originally posted by CyberShy
            Awesome that you got them into the Polycast, Dan! Congrats!
            Thanks.

to Alex, Jon and the PolyCast team!
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Are you going to try to make a Civ game that is not critically imbalanced? Thanks for answering.

I'm from St. Paul Minny

Edit: Oh, I also want to ask what you guys have been doing lately-- other then Firaxis stuff.
              Last edited by MJW; July 21, 2007, 15:09.
              “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

If I copy the Warlords scenarios/mods into the appropriate BTS directories, will they be compatable with BTS?
                Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Would you care to comment on why one amateur was able to significantly improve the AI?

How much do you feel your Civ experience helps you in your job?

Comment

Anyway, my two Qs:

1) Why did you decide to leave out the trade route buoys idea? The idea of being able to pillage/fight over trade routes sounds neat.

2) Is there any technical reason why you don't allow, as an OPTION ONLY(!), pop-ups and wonder movies during multiplayer? Would it increase OOS errors? I accept that the majority of mp players wouldn't use it, but I know a few who would!

Comment

Re: "Alexman" and "Trip": Your Questions, Their Answers

Originally posted by DanQ
                      twenty-second episode of PolyCast, the official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site.
                      How many questions will they be able to answer in a 20-second podcast?
                      (Isn't English a wonderfully ambiguous language?)
                      The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

What was the main reason for not including Giant Death robots?
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Re: "Alexman" and "Trip": Your Questions, Their Answers

Originally posted by patcon

How many questions will they be able to answer in a 20-second podcast?
                          (Isn't English a wonderfully ambiguous language?)

Your question for Alex and Jon now is?

Comment

One other question...Why the European release before North America?

Comment

To redress the balance.

Comment

Working...
                              X