Direct Download for BTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Download for BTS?

Question, will there be a way to direct download Beyond The Sword, like there was for GalCiv2 and EU3? Generally, I prefer to purchase games that way, quicker and no tax...

Also, if the Europe Thing happens first, I can convert dollars to euros and buy that way...

http://www.direct2drive.com/4/4192/p...ond-the-Sword-(Pre-Order)-Download

Comment

I take it that's a yes.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

discount

Steam is currently offering a 10% discount if you pre-order before july 24th, and you can pre-download and install the game so it's ready to go the second it's released.

lp

Comment

Sadly I would save over $30.00 Canadian buying Civ IV and BtS via STEAM then buying both products retail. Direct 2 Drive offer is about $11.00 more than the STEAM package. It also seams that the STEAM version is up to date as of this writing and the D2D version is still 1.61 The STEAM version is also guaranteed to work with retail boxes. There is no mention of this on the Direct 2 Drive website although I would imagine it is also compatible.

The STEAM process eats up anywhere from 5MB to 10MB while running in the background. I would really rather have an up to date Direct 2 Drive version with no service running but STEAMS price on this bundle is just too good to pass up.

Canadian retail stores are a joke. EB was telling me 59.99 today before I informed them the US retail version was 39.99 and how could the Canadian price possible be 59.99 I was then told oh your right it's 49.99 which is still a rip off. Civ IV original should be selling for 39.99 but due to the fact the Gold edition was released at 59.99 it allows them to keep the price at 49.99 and still find some value in the Gold bundle.

They should have just phased Warlords out and released a new Gold bundle with everything included at the 59.99 price point. At least then I could see some value in the package. As it stands right now Digital Distrubution from the US is kicking the crap out of Canadian retail sales which are largely inflated and out of date with the Canadian dollar at .94 US

Comment

Direct2Drive has 2.13 and 1.74 available as of now, i just installed 2.13 Not sure if it's combined or if you have to buy 2.08 and then update to 2.13.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'd be careful, I got D2D Warlords and now it won't patch or accept BtS - it tells me my install doesn't exist even though I can play it.
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

STEAM really pooched it up over there with Civ4. I bought the BtS bundle and it actually downloads both now. My Civ4 download was blazing fast but my BtS download is slow as hell. Been going all night jumping from dial up speed to 125kb/sec. Litterly took me 20 minutes for the original game. It's as if BtS is on a slow or overworked server.

Anyways the new patches are no longer showing up ingame for me. I check for updates and nothing comes up but it is only Vanilla v1.61 right now. The irony of their situation and mine is now the v1.61 seems to also require the new Direct X update as of July 10. So I ran into the DX error without even patching up since they removed it earlier and rebuilt a new build or something wacky.

So now I am sitting here with Vanilla Civ4 running the out of date version at 1.61 with STEAM sitting in the background SLOWLY downloading BtS. Shat like this makes me mad. Especially when I tried to use the Microsoft autoupdate which requires me to enable some lame MS services to even check their damn update list. No DX update of course because it's still the same version number even though it was modified July 10. LOL then my PC decides it's going to boot slow without the event logger enabled sending me into a WTF is going frenzy with that service.

Still haven't played Civ4 nor do I want to even bother with an out of date version. I guess multi is out of the question tonight...

Comment

I found that if it couldn't see past your firewall it told you that there was no update, rather than tell you it couldn't check. You might want to check your firewall setting.
                  www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Nah it wasn't my firewall or anything. I think with people posting about the DX error STEAM might have done something so it doesn't see the patch or maybe Firaxis pulled it I don't know anyone else that owns Civ4 to test that theory with.

It's showing my version as:

Civ Version 161
                    Save Version 103
                    Build Version 1.7.4.0
                    BUILD FINAL RELEASE

Wed May 16 2007

No Update Required - yet people were talking about downloading the new patch this morning...

If anyone with STEAM Civ IV Vanilla could confirm these numbers are the latest patch that would be nice.
                    Last edited by KWAiRT; July 21, 2007, 07:44.

Comment

Working...
                    X