abandon city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abandon city?

can you abandon cities like you could in CivIII? I can't find the command.
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something."

Which one are you?

Nope. Once you have it, you're stuck with it
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

imagine that your president/king/tyran had such an option...............

oops, most dictators do have such an option
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I seldom find this a problem - empty the city out and someone will usually take it off your hands.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
          I seldom find this a problem - empty the city out and someone will usually take it off your hands.
          Or

a) park a couple of chariots near to the city
          b) gift it to a neighbour who you want to fight
          c) declare war
          d) capture city and raze it

I doubt you'll get any gold but you'll acquire a some GG points and XP

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion
            a) park a couple of chariots near to the city
            b) gift it to a neighbour who you want to fight
            c) declare war
            d) capture city and raze it

I doubt you'll get any gold but you'll acquire a some GG points and XP
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That also has the unfortunate side effect of making that neighbor hate you for the rest of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                That also has the unfortunate side effect of making that neighbor hate you for the rest of the game.
                In most of my games, most of my neighbors hate me anyway The trick is to give it to the "right" neighbor...
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

That is surprising. I play on noble and I usually only do well if I can ally with neighbors and convince them to fight wars with civs somewhere across the globe. That way I have a good buffer and can focus on tech while they go military.

Comment

Unless everybody is the same religion, you eventually are going to have to choose which neighbors to support, and which ones to blow off. Those ever present "stop dealing with such and such" requests coming from two people you have good relations with will eventually mean you have to choose one. (and as my typical luck, I pick the one I want to be buddies with, and they change religion next turn, and they both hate me anyway)

I have a simple solution to neighbors that hate me... I eliminate them
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                      Surely the AI you declare war has already got onto the list of short to medium term enemies. It’s a rare thing for them to hate you for the “rest of the game” since they often don’t manage to reach that stage .

And if they are really lucky and join my select gang of willing slaves then they will, over time, gradually change their opinion of me to one of absolute devotion despite the
                      -3 you declared war on me
                      -1 you razed one of our cities

These are small negatives compared to the civic and religious bonus while open borders, trade and common cause should easily get you into cautious/pleased territory

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion It’s a rare thing for them to hate you for the “rest of the game” since they often don’t manage to reach that stage .
                        Oh, I don't know about that. In my last game, Stalin had the misfortune to start out with a scout and settler in the same tile right next to my warrior. Poof! No more Stalin. But even at the very end of the game, Stalin was "furious" and "refused to talk".
                        I guess dead men tell no tales but still have an attitude.
                        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by patcon

In my last game, Stalin had the misfortune to start out with a scout and settler in the same tile right next to my warrior. Poof! No more Stalin. But even at the very end of the game, Stalin was "furious" and "refused to talk".
                          Now just how pissed off you would be if that warrior had lost?

I'm imagine that Stalin talked of being "furious" and "refusing to talk" on his deathbed. Since there was nothing in his will, I should get too worried about all this bad feeling.

Comment

How bad is it to be hated by someone in Hell?
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                              How bad is it to be hated by someone in Hell?
                              Makes your arrival there uncomfortable?
                              Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
                              http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X