Vista and CIV 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and CIV 4

Well i have a question regarding CIV 4 platform competiblity on Windows Vista(any edition)? Have anyone try playing civ 4 on windows vista, becaseu i m upgrading my pc to vista and before i do that i want to know whether the civ 4 and expension BTS will work on my new pc, because main reason i m updating to new pc is to be able to play CIV 4. So anyone have any information regarding this issue please let me know, you help will be much appreciated. Thanks

I've been considering this myself, because I got a free copy of Vista (won it at a conference) and have done a lot of research.

My main concern with Vista is not with being able to run CIV, but with other issues. Vista is still fairly new and has some major problems.

I have seen over a dozen reports from civ players that the software works fine with Vista. If anything, and your computer is dual core, it's faster (than running CIV on XP).

Wodan

Comment

There's no probs with Vista and Civ4/WL/BtS.

Thats what I'm running BtS on.

Comment

Thanks wodan and dale for the info. Dale BTS I thought comes out on the 23rd of this month so how do you have it and as for CIV 4 (original) where you able to install without anyproblems and what version of vista do you have? Thanks again Wodan and Dale!

Comment

Vista Ultimate (the top one).

BtS scenario designer (so I've been playing it for a year now ).

No errors or problems installing on Vista (any of the three).

Comment

Awesome! I will begin my procees then. thanks and looking forward for the expansion.

Comment

Using Vista Home Premium and no problems with CIV/Warlords.

A couple of games had problems but most of these went away with the last set of Nvidia drivers. The only 'modern' game so far that hasn;t worked so far has been Silent Storm.

Comment

Does Civ 4 use EAX and DirectX for sound? If you use a SoundBlaster card, do you have to run ALchemy to get 3D sound to work in Civ 4 under Vista?
                "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

I just switched to Vista recently and I've noticed that my game crashes more than it did before. But it's a very occasional thing, as opposed to not at all previously, so it's not really a big deal. Hopefully with BtS being more Vista familiar, those occasional crashes will disappear altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Underseer
                    Does Civ 4 use EAX and DirectX for sound? If you use a SoundBlaster card, do you have to run ALchemy to get 3D sound to work in Civ 4 under Vista?
                    I don't think Civ uses EAX at all, though I'm not exactly positive about that.

And what's this Alchemy you mention? Hopefully Creative will have some new drivers soon that returns all the functionality my sound card has lost. I have the XFi Platinum and there's a number of things I can no longer do with Vista. EAX being one of them.

Comment

I've been playing Civ IV on vista since January, and the only problems I've noticed is that I have to turn off AA to make it run great
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It works fine on Vista. I've only ever played it on Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

I don't think Civ uses EAX at all, though I'm not exactly positive about that.

And what's this Alchemy you mention? Hopefully Creative will have some new drivers soon that returns all the functionality my sound card has lost. I have the XFi Platinum and there's a number of things I can no longer do with Vista. EAX being one of them.
                          ALchemy is a bit of a kludge that sort of crowbars EAX back into Directx10. It's free if you own a X-Fi, but it costs $10 if you own an Audigy (grrrr!).

Anyway, check it out for yourself:
                          The Sound Blaster product range has an audio upgrade solution – internal and external—for every setup. Don’t stop at stunning visuals. Redefine your audio experience with Sound Blaster.

While I'm generally the first to pile on Creative Labs for their crappy drivers, this one is Microsoft's fault. They altered the architecture for DirectSound3D so that it is impossible to do hardware accelerated 3D sound without a kludge like this. Kudos to Creative Labs for figuring out a workaround. Damn them for charging Audigy users for it.

Addendum: I found a list of games that are affected by this (and that have been verified to work under ALchemy). Both Oblivion and World of Warcraft are on the list. >.<
                          "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

ALchemy is a bit of a kludge that sort of crowbars EAX back into Directx10.

Actually, it crowbars EAX into OpenAL. It translates DXAudio into OpenAL calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Underseer
                              Anyway, check it out for yourself:
                              The Sound Blaster product range has an audio upgrade solution – internal and external—for every setup. Don’t stop at stunning visuals. Redefine your audio experience with Sound Blaster.
                              That sounds interesting but all I'm getting from that link is a title bar and a black box.

Comment

Working...
                              X