American UU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American UU

I think there's been a few threads on this before but I couldn't find a recent one to bump, so ya... why does America get such a late game UU? The US only has a couple hundred years of history compared to the in some cases two thousand years of some civs but there's other units that could be used.

Issues with unit lifespan and such aside (for example, riflemen tend to come really quickly after musket men at least for me) I would think a Musketman would make a great UU. It's essentially the unit that was used to fight and become a country or a Rifleman which would basically be the unit used to hold the nation together during the civil war and push the borders of the country over to the Pacific Ocean. A late game unit just doesn't seem the best choice considering the alternatives. If a later game unit were to be used I would think an air unit would make the best choice although Stealth Bombers exist for everyone already.

So a Minuteman? Or a Kentucky Rifleman?
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Eh, you already have a GI and Sherman tank...

Come to think of it, is there a UU in the Infantry slot?
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

One solution to the “late-game” UU (and don’t forget that we brits got Redcoats rather than an earlier Longbow unit) might be to give the US armed workers after Gunpowder/Rifling. This might reflect the fact that civilians in the US have historically been heavily armed. They’d obviously cost more than workers in other countries but could fight too as a relatively low-strength musketman or whatever is the draft unit of the day.

And if a unit died, there would be a cost to the treasury

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
          So a Minuteman? Or a Kentucky Rifleman?
          Exactly, I was thinking a Minuteman especially but this might have something to do with it being the 4th of July when I was thinking about it. For a game that's focused more on the past than on the present/future it seems to make a much better unit type to me than the later game stuff we've had in civs 3 and 4.

Comment

Wait a minute!! The Americans get the earliest of all UUs.

They are called Quecha

Comment

I prefer the americans having a late game UU. If you notice, 9 out of 10 times, a civs UU comes from a time when that civ dominated militarily. I would hardly say the americans "dominated" any war prior to 1990.

Leave the early units to the early civs, not a civ that technicly only has <300 years history.

I'd say if you are going to replace the American UU make it a different late game UU. Something like NLOS cannon (artilary), or F-22 Raptor (jet), or even the Comanche (helicopter).

The seal is not a bad unit however if you survive to see it.

Comment

Ditto to Pinchak

Comment

My only issue with the Seal is that it means you can't build American Marines.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    My only issue with the Seal is that it means you can't build American Marines.
                    Semper Fi? (Altho I am an army vet, I do like the marines gung ho attitude.)
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Seals

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I know how to add new units and create new UUs, but not make new graphics for them. Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to make a new unit graphic?
                        EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

You need to use a 3D program, like 3DS Max or Blender, and then a NIF exporter (3DS Max one was released by Firaxis, or http://niftools.sourceforge.net for a Blender version).
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The Seal is there I presume largely because there is a need for a civ with a late game UU. There are already plenty of gunpowder era UUs; but not very many late game ones. America is one of the few that has a good late game UU available, so there you are.

The Seal is a great UU for some fun late-game action... quick naval invasions can be a huge surprise to your opponent.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This may be answered elsewhere, but this fits here too.
                              Will the SEAL unit get paratroop abilities in BTS? It should because SEAL stands for SEa, Air, Land. They should also be stealthy - invisible until they act and then for one more turn and then invisible again. But would that be considered too overpowering? Yes, it would be an awesome unit, but that would be a trade-off for not getting the UU until so late in the game. Praets may be useless against Infantry, but at least you know you'll be able to use them before the game is already settled. By the time SEALs are available, the overall course of the game is set.
                              The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X