Secondary religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary religion

Is there any benfit to spreading a secondary religion discovered in your empire. If you are Christian, but you also discovered Islam, is there any particular benefit to spreading the second religion if it has not been widely adopted?

Does the second religion also generate shrine income, or does that only come from the official religion?

Lets you build more temples, etc.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

and if you don't know what to do with your second GreatProphet you can also build a second shrine for Islam and gain revenue from that and then spread both your religion to your neighbours and gat even more gold...
      "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Comment

I once had 3 religons and spread them all to every city on my continent (with the exception of one city for every country for the last 2). With shirnes I was gaining tons of gold (enough to have the largest army under pasifism and still be gaining 100 gold a turn).
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

In my current game I've founded two religions and captured Egypts holy city. Three under free religion is a good thing if you're on an isolated landmass without a single happy resource .

Comment

It's good to have multiple religions for a couple of reasons, some of which have already been stated:

-More Monastaries for your science cities
            -More Cathedrals (generic term) for a cultural victory
            -More religions in each city to exploit with Free Religion
            -More Shrines if you control the Holy Cities

Comment

Originally posted by Croup
              It's good to have multiple religions for a couple of reasons, some of which have already been stated:

-More Monastaries for your science cities
              -More Cathedrals (generic term) for a cultural victory
              -More religions in each city to exploit with Free Religion
              -More Shrines if you control the Holy Cities
              QFT.

Just go to Jerusalem if you don't believe us!
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The extra temples for happiness, the monastaries for another +10%, cathedrals for more culture, additional gold from the holy city. I'm sure I missed some.

BTW, if your curious about just how far you can go with a religious based economy, I suggest you check out Adventure 20: Desert Domination. The discussion thread can be found here.
                Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

I was pumping out a few missionaries and building monastories in the new cities to spread the second religion further, but didn't know if I was just wasting production. I do have the Islamic shrine and used my second GP to build it.

Looks like there's money to be made and more culture to spread!

Comment

if you have two or three religions in most, if not all, your cities, and you control U of Sankore or Spiral Minaret, you can switch religions if you need to, and not lose out on any beakers/gold.

Comment

Usually a priest settled is better than a shrine after the first, unless you really want the spreading advantage, or have a huge empire and don't need the hammers.

But for the happiness in free religion, and the cathedrals in cultural victory, it's quite useful.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

another question: Is there a limit to the number of missionaries of a religion you can have at one time? I've noticed that usually after I have 4-5 missionaries of a particular religion, I can't produce more until the current ones have been used. Is this true? I'm loading up galleons and sending them overseas and it takes a while to get them over there.

Also, just FYI, the primary religion seems to give +2gp per city whereas the secondary only gives +1gp.

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb Is there a limit to the number of missionaries of a religion you can have at one time?
                          Yes, I believe it's only three at the same time.
                          Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb
                            Does the second religion also generate shrine income, or does that only come from the official religion?
                            Yes it will generate shrine income, which is why it's always a good idea to spread it. I usually end up with 2, Hinduism or Judaism and Confucianism, and it really helps having that extra income. Sometimes I even luck out and end up with both religions being founded in the same city. That city always ends up being a real cash cow for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Methos from CFC

Yes, I believe it's only three at the same time.
                              Yes, confirmed at 3 for each religon. The mouseover says the maximum is 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X