Eulogy for the Warlords Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eulogy for the Warlords Era

Well, it is nearly time to put Warlords out to pasture. With Beyond the Sword on the way, Warlords will probably only be played by most players for nostalgia or perhaps the odd MP game or succession game or something. In this thread, let's talk about things you remember about the Warlords pre-release hypetrain, what you thought Warlords did right, what it did wrong, what you think about it now compared to it's release, things you will miss about it, etc etc etc.

Imagine if you will, early 2006. Civilization IV had just been released a few months before and had it's whole life ahead of it. Whispers of an expansion pack coming out sooner than expected began to circulate. The fan communities were on edge, who knows what megatons would be dropped in the next XP? Babylon? New and improved nukes? Special sniper modes? I remember when the name came out a lot of people were skeptical, saying it was a ripoff of AoE III's Warchiefs. But then we saw the wonder movies for Temple of Artemis and Great Wall. Who here didn't say wow when they saw the Great Wall video for the first time?

As the months went by more information kept leaking out. Vassal states? Hmm, interesting! University of... Sankore? *opens www.wikipedia.com* So, England and Russia get third leaders while some still only have one? That's weird. Augustus is finally going to be in? Rock on! Wait, still no Babylon? WTF?!

I think the reviews came out they were by and large positive but not overwhelmingly positive like Civ IV. I don't think it made it on any best XP of the year lists that I recall seeing. But unlike, say, Play the World, it did have a definite positive reaction. And who could forget Solver's legendary review? It was more negative than I expected, but definitely fair, and without question the best overall review of the product on the net.

When Warlords came out, I believe I was one of the more enthusiastic posters here, gushing about every little one of it's new features. At the time a lot of posters complained about it's lack of epic game content. Of course, compared to Beyond the Sword the scale of changes really does look minuscule. But I do think that my enthusiasm was for the most part justified. The argument that I made back then was that while the sheer quantity of the new material in Warlords was not overwhelming, the quality was. This argument still rings true for me today.

One of the things that was done very right was the surprising addition of all new music. While it is easy to forget this now if you have played Warlords quite a bit, at the time hearing a new piece of music come on was a huge shock. Unique buildings were another one of the most pleasing changes for me. I know that they are a small thing, but I just think they add so much flavor to the game. There is just a certain sense of satisfaction that you get from unlocking your civ's special building, even if it is kind of a dud like the mausoleum. And the new civs were just six really solid civs, no HRE's here folks. The leaderhead artwork also seems to be on par with the original 18, unlike some of the new leaders in BtS that seem to be kind of spotty in terms of quality.

Vassal states draw a lot of ire in certain competitive circles, but I think they were a masterful addition, even if somewhat bugged pre-patch. They just add so much to making the game more unexpected and really do a good job of shaking up a game's balance of power. Great Generals were solid too. They didn't significantly alter the game's balance, but they were a lot of fun to play with and always forced you to make some tough strategic decisions.

I think that one thing that Warlords did wrong was it's over-emphasis on scenarios both in comparison to material created for the main game and in various marketing materials. I think that Firaxis learned their lesson on this one because the marketing for BtS has focused mostly on changes to the core game and the focus on the scenarios has been decidedly more low key. While I certainly can't fault any of the scenarios for their quality, I think they were all cleverly designed, and I was always impressed by them when I actually played them, I just rarely was able to pull myself away from the main game to make time for the scenarios. One other thing I would say that it did wrong was the main title screen was so dark and dreary and the title track inferior to the everyone's favorite Baba Yetu. The only other thing that I would complain about is that the traits never were that interesting compared to the originals, and today most players consider Imperialistic and Protective to be the two worst traits.

One thing that will always keep an install of Warlords on my hard drive is that I think it will be remembered as the most refined and "pure" version of Civilization IV. While BtS may ultimately be a better game overall, it makes so many changes that it may as well be Civ 4.5. Warlords represents the best version of that game Soren plugged away at for so many years. The game that went through the dozens and dozens of different builds that we saw during "Prototyping Civ" at PolyCon. While Civanilla will always have a charm all it's own, Warlords took that game and just refined the crap out of it with all sorts of small tweaks like the axeman/redcoat/cossack nerfs, the creative/expansive/organized buffs and so on. So if I want to play Civ 4.5, I have no doubt that BtS will satisfy me well, but if I actually want to play Civ IV? Look out folks, because I am going to double click on that sheep and fire me up some Warlords.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

"era" is a bit strong...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      "era" is a bit strong...
      Since when is over 11 months not considered an era?

Comment

uhh, I'm sure the aspects of Warlords will still be part of civ when bts comes out. So it's not really going anywhere. Will have a different title screen and title music of course.

As for the game, I had hoped for more content. I could tell early on most of the content was pre gunpowder, and I knew back then they were saving the rest for a second xp.

Overall it was a positive experience, unlike PTW.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
          Since when is over 11 months not considered an era?
          Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

If you somehow think eleven slave-whipping, Great Library building, Islam-not founding, action-packed months of Civilization® Warlords™ *ISN'T* a unique and epochal era of our history, then God help you.

Comment

I think it's finally time to play the scenarios. I'm not knocking the scenarios, it's just the original game was so good, I had no need to look to scenarios for fresh gameplay. Unlike civ3 which I feel the scenarios in conquests was the best part of civ3. I figure I should at least play the scenarios before the expansion comes out.

And to be honest, from a scenario perspective, I prefer post gunpowder era. I don't know why that is exactly. Of course I want the mandatory ww2 scenario, but ww1 scenarios can be fun, napoleonic wars can be fun, U.S. civil war, you name it.

Comment

Well, as far as Warlords gameplay goes, until very recently when I bumped my difficulty up again I felt Vassals were entirely worthless and were simply a way for the AI to cheat the player in wars. I'm beginning to see their use now.

Comment

I think Warlords was a great addition for the MP crowd.
                  I'm not sure BtS will be... I may have to keep a clean version of warlord around for MP action
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It was light on content, but it did have some quality ones. The new traits alone opened things up in the epic game.
                    - Dregor

Comment

I think the cover of Warlords makes an important statement. In the foreground we see monkeys beating each other with rocks. In the background we see monkeys still using rocks to beat each other up... except now they have learned to make the rocks fly at +2000 FPS, and also explode.

1 million years of evolution and we are still monkeys throwing rocks.

On a lighter note... yes Warlords was a major improvment over regular civ4, however due to how soon it came out after the initial release I couldn't help but think that it should have just been the core game.

Thank the marketing heads at Faraxis.
                      Last edited by Pinchak; June 29, 2007, 20:10.

Comment

That smiley is really obscene.

Comment

You want to see obscene read my responce to the "I want to make love to BTS" thread.

Comment

I disagree that marketing this time around has not been focused on the new scenarios. Most of what I have found, at least online, has been purely dedicated to the new scenarios. The common form of article I see is about three pages of detail and hype about the scenarios we know about prefaced by a brief blurb about the new features. Sure they do list them all and make sure to proclaim that this is the biggest Civ expansion ever, but its pushed out quick and in no real detail before digging into scenarios.
                            ---------Glossy
                            "De maximus ni curat lex"--The law does not apply to giants.

Comment

I really liked the Warlords expansion and think it added a lot to the game and kept me playing Civ. However, I have never played one of the expansions in any version. Is that weird?

Comment

Working...
                              X