What's a good start to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good start to you?

All starting locations are not created equal, of course.

I'm in the middle of a game in which my starting settler began on a site featuring 2 gold, incense, corn, and (a few turns later) horses.

This looks good at first glance, but as I have played it out, it seems it could have been better. The gold makes for great science, but it has also slowed down the growth of my capital. The corn helps, but I'd rather it had been fish or something else seaborne - I can't have both a farm and a cottage on that tile. And the incense took a little while to make useful.

On top of all that, the landmass that I started on had room for one more decent city, and the rest of it was tundra/ice (archipeligo map). (Luckily I was playing the Romans, found iron in among all that ice, and was within a short boat ride of Louis )

So now my revised wish list for an ideal start site would be:

Coastal city site;
    Not too much water, but all food specials in the water, preferably 2+ of them;
    2+ of gold, gems, or cow. (deer and silver are nice, too, but they seem associated with otherwise undesirable terrain...); and
    A river.

I don't generally see a lot of floodplains - but when I do see them, they tend to come with a lot of nearby useless desert tiles. So I'm not a big floodplain fan.

Is it pretty much a given that if you get a good starting site for your capital, there will be some offsetting detriment to the start (e.g. small island, lots of desert, stuck on the end of a peninsula, etc)?
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Really, the ultimate start would be resorces crammed into the fat cross of the capital so as to take up every avalible tile.. Gold and iron would be must haves... perferably on hills of course.

Coastal would be prefered, with fresh water touching capital.

Floodplains are junk IMO. They offer good food early... but the sickness that comes with them is too big a negative when compaired to standard food resorces.

If you use the worldbuilder you can achive the above with about 3 min of work... but along those same lines you can set the difficulty to beginner to make things easy as well....

Comment

If the desert could be coast with some fish this would a great starting spot

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

A good start is wherever I am placed. But that's at Noble.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak
          Really, the ultimate start would be resorces crammed into the fat cross of the capital so as to take up every avalible tile.. Gold and iron would be must haves... perferably on hills of course.

Coastal would be prefered, with fresh water touching capital.

Floodplains are junk IMO. They offer good food early... but the sickness that comes with them is too big a negative when compaired to standard food resorces.

If you use the worldbuilder you can achive the above with about 3 min of work... but along those same lines you can set the difficulty to beginner to make things easy as well....
          That's the thing with Civ4 vs, say, Civ2. You couldn't get more than 4 resources/specials per city site in II, but I'm not sure if there's a limit in IV. Although I can't recall seeing more than 5...

Iron isn't normally visible from one's starting position, is it?
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
            Coastal city site;
            I don't care for coastal city sites myself. I prefer something more landlocked so I can get at least one ring of cities around my capital. With distance from the capital a factor in maintenance costs, that can make a big difference in how much I can expand early on. And I don't reallly like having to build a new Palace in order to get the most "efficient" layout. I'd rather use that production for something else.

Comment

Not really that relevant with an Organized civ, Willem.

Comment

The main advantage of coastal cap is the ablity to build a harbor.

If you have a sea food resorce, this also allows for the workboat opening... which facilitates quick worker/settler production, as well as quick city growth.

Last but not least... coastal start assures you access to the coast. Having at least one coastal city opens up alot of different opertunitys that simply are not avalible otherwise.

Comment

Inland city with at least one grain resource - preferably grassland corn or wheat for fast early growth. In that case I'll often build a worker first. One gold, silver, or gems so that early expansion doesn't immeadiately slow down research significantly. Within close range of a good production site and (optional) another site with a glut of flood plains.

I hate starting on the coast - more so when my only food resources are aquatic. Those workboats can only be built once.
                  Last edited by Thedrin; June 26, 2007, 02:00.
                  LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Perfect start

On coastal plains hill with fresh water and containing stone or marble
                    Around 10 forest tiles, 10+riverside tiles and several coastal tiles.

Resources
                    Stone/Marble (site of city)
                    Seafood resources (all on coast) Either 2 Fish or Fish + Another
                    Riverside Corn (1)
                    Plains hill Gold (1)
                    Grassland Gems (1)
                    Plains hill Copper (1)
                    Plains Forest Deer (1)
                    Plains Forest Fur (1)

Anything more than this would be greedy.

p.s In view of the comments made by Willem, the coastal site is also at the end of a large bay leaving room to expand in all directions.

Comment

Anything with a strong easily improved food resource and hills on a river is good.
                      For example, corn on a river, and hills on that river. The corn can be improved for an immediate 6f-1c, each hill can be improved for 1f-3h-1c or 4h-1c. This is all you need for a powerful opening.

Comment

Take what Blake had, and give it 3-7 flood plains and it's a strong start. Then give it another food ie irrigated wheat or pigs or a grass cow and it's a brilliant start. If on top of that you have gold/silver/gems on the hills, you have a start that Teh Awesomest.

Well, not really. In addition to what Blake said all I'd want between 8-14 forests for chops early on...snowballing to victory. Copper in my capital when I get BW would be real nice though.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

A good start? When playing as Egypt or Persia: Meeting a close neighbor and discovering horses within my capital's fat cross.
                          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion

Resources
                            Stone/Marble (site of city)
                            Slightly off topic but do you get the resources if you build your city on them? I was worried they'd be removed, like with some of the land conversions.

Comment

yes, so long as you have the tech required to build the improvement on the resource.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X