Could merging be good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could merging be good?

I shall start my argument by stating this. Civilization games do not have good battle sequences. In fact, their really... how should I put it... sucky. Now I have serched for the best battle sequences and I have found them in Rome: Total War(tm) where you fight the battles. (has anyone played the game?) And you don't fight with 1 unit but command armies. (Is it sounding better yet?) there is a catch to the game.you can only play with 1 premade map of Europe. (who likes to play on Europe anyway?)

Does anyone think this would be the best game in history if Civ's diplomacy and ability to found vilages combined with Rome: TW's ability to have amazing, full, and pleasing to watch battles? ... hmm?
    That would be awsum!
    3.57%
    eh... Its an allright Idea. but I like my civ.
    17.86%
    Its a really bad Idea
    57.14%
    Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana,
    17.86%
    I'm saying no just because its you. (I couldn't resist ;))
    3.57%

The poll is expired.

It would indeed be an epic game. One I have no desire to play.

Large scale battles in the Total War series take 30 min or more to finish. And you would be limited to a specific number of units (the reinforcement system in TW SUCKS).

But most importantly, it brings in RTS battles into Civ. I don't particularly want RTS in Civ. Have to zoom in to fight battles every time I see a barb? bleh. (and the TW auto resolve also sucks, btw, far too many casualties)

Stack combat would be a very nice, and long due addition to Civ, but I don't need to roll out real time orders every little battle.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

If I want to play an RTS I'll open up an RTS.

Comment

We've had these debates before. Rome Total War has very good battles but only found myself commanding battles when the battle was important or my troops were outnumbered. The reason for this is that take too long. I think there is a mod that lets you have armies face armies. If Civ went to Total War style battles I wouldn't buy it.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

I agree with the above statements.

Two different kinds of games. Although I would not be opposed to it being an option that could be turned on and off.

The one major improvment I would like to see (maybe in BTS? *crosses fingers*), would be an ingame solution to the infamous "double move" exploit that occures in pittboss games.

Comment

I don't want to control battles in a TBS because it'd induce some micromanagement and unfair advantage to the most intelligent (the human), like it was in Master of Orion or MoMagic for instance. Not even mentioning real time versus turn based.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

As long as we have large forests of bannanas.
              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

I for one would favor RTS battle resolution. At least I wouldn't be losing so many battles at +90% odds....

Comment

How varied are the units and how detailed is each unit in RTW? That's set over only a period of the time that CivIV covers, right? How feasible is it to expand that level of detail over the entire game?

'You have entered the modern era. Please insert disc 6'

CivIV isn't just about war. It's also about building an economy. Would you favour bulking up CivIV with an equally detailed level of economic micromanagement? The economy is (in my vies) the less well developed aspect of the game. Surely this should be expanded before the military aspect if further expanded.

'Master, the grocers have conspired to raise the price of milk in Bactra. What shall we do?'
                  LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

it would be a gimmick. I'd use it all the time at first, but then I'd just want to save time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus66
                      I for one would favor RTS battle resolution. At least I wouldn't be losing so many battles at +90% odds....
                      Except for the ones you'd remember...

Comment

fine. but someone tell the makers to let stacks of units attack.

-END OF DISCUSSION-

Comment

Stacks of units can attack. Select "stack combat" in the options. You can't use those stacks in interesting ways [ie making sure the right guys attack the right defenders, or flank attack, etc.] without a mod, but it's moddable.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I played Medieval:Total War for years before I ever started playing Civ games. When Rome came out the game was so broken I came and found a new game. Now Medieval 2 is out but it is almost as broken as Rome was. It just seems that there are insufficient resources, time, and talent to develop a decent AI for fighting battles at this time. Maybe in another 5 years it will happen but not until the 'graphics' become good enough to be secondary to game play, unlike now where those two priorities are reversed.

Comment

I think Cyrus means to have the stack attack en masse rather than the game's stack attack feature which just automates one unit attacking at a time.
                              If you attack one unit with three like units, you should have 3:1 odds, not 1:1 odds three times.

Comment

Working...
                              X