Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4- Linux : Warlords?

Hey all,

I have civ4 working quite well (haven't tested everything, but single player works perfectly) on KUbuntu Fiesty fawn with Cedega 6.0 and I have had thoughts of trying out Warlords. Has anyone tried Warlords on Wine or Cedega?

--mm
    If Bush bought America, why shouldn't he sell Iraq?

yeah works like a dream. I think the order in which i installed was as follows:

1. install civ 4. use the civ 4 settings from the games database.
    2. install warlords and let it auto update civ 4 to v1.61
    - warlords then installs. use civ 4 settings again.
    (i don't use xfire or any other peripheral program from the disk.)
    3. download the warlords patch and install using civ 4 settings.

i use ubuntu 6.10.
    i have the game in full screen and use alt-tab or ctrl-alt-left arrow to get to the desktop.

Hmm there's probably more things i've done to smooth the running but i can't remember right now.

oh yeah, you don't need directx - cedega takes care of all that for you.

only issue i have is occasional crashes which i resolve by stopping the application with cedega then restarting it.
    there are a few graphical issues but this could be nvidia related - not sure.

in any case, installing the patch (2.08 i think) resolves a lot of stuff to make it play, as i said, like a dream!
    regards,

Peter

Comment

What version of Cedega is that with?
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

More details

So, in case anyone is interested, with more testing, still everything works in vanilla 1.62 except:
        1) Ctrl and Alt key combinations. This is a known issue and cedega is working on this.
        2) I have not tried this, but apparently some have had difficulty with MODs. There is apparently a workaround, and I can find it if anyone is interested.

petermarkab, thanks for the info. Warlords sounds like it behaves like another patch, so I'll give it a whirl if my wife lets me buy it

--mm
        If Bush bought America, why shouldn't he sell Iraq?

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          What version of Cedega is that with?
          Version 6.0

yeah the Ctrl keys don't work but the alt ones do.
          I've tried a few mods - barbarians works as does chinese unification, but there are reports of others (3rd party) breaking the emulation.
          regards,

Peter

Comment

Hmm, I managed to get Vanilla Civ 4 working (1.61). But when I try to install Warlords it says it's something wrong with my Civ 4 install and I should re-install it... But it plays alright. Wtf??

Oh, and I use the latest Cedega (6.1) and Ubuntu Feisty.
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

hi Zoid,

did you install the civ 4 patch prior to installing warlords? My experience is that this fails. I got a successful install through updating using the Warlords install. See the order in my first post.

how is the game with cedega 6.1? are the ctrl keys and graphical issues resolved?
              regards,

Peter

Comment

1.61 installed alright, maybe this is the problem? And I haven't tried it that much. I'll load my latest pbem save (large late medieval era highlands map), this should tell me if there's any graphics problems...

Comment

yeah, if i were you i'd uninstall completely, clean install civ 4 then go straight to install warlords. Then install patch 2.08.

at each stage test that the game works.

the graphics problems i've experienced can happen on small maps. I don't think its a large map problem. what happens is that the bottom right corner (where the unit data is) gets corrupted with flashing images. When i conduct diplomacy, the leaderhead appears frozen but a second animated leaderhead appears in the same bottom right hand corner. And sometimes when i load a save game, the bottom right hand corner shows me a glimpse of the entire map, which is a bonus i suppose!
                  regards,

Peter

Comment

Hehe, weird cheat bug

But IIRC last time I tried to install Warlords without the 1.61 patch it said the same. But I'll try again.

Comment

There could be an inconsistency with me using Edgy and you using Feisty, and similar with cedega 6.0 and 6.1.
                      regards,

Peter

Comment

Could be. We'll see.

Comment

Hmm, something in Cedega 6.1 or Feisty obviously broke Warlords. I can't get the game to install...

Oh well, at least Vanilla works

Comment

Working...
                          X