Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can Hannibal cross the Alps?!

Hello (from a newbie to CIV)

Could someone please tell me how to make CIV IV mountains, behave like mountains on Earth.

Someone tould me that you can edit the terrain.

Thanks

J Harker

Mountains are actually "peaks" in Civ4. To enable passes through these peaks, have a path of other terrain through them. I would probably do it on the diagonals.

"Hills" in Civ4 must also suffice for "crossable mountains," though you could realistically have grassland "meadows" within mountain ranges, of course (depending on how you want to consider the size of a tile).

Comment

Thank you for your reply

Civ III had an editor with it. Does the world builder work the same way. allowing you to modify what you want?

Iain

Comment

The world builder allows you to edit maps. You can't edit game rules as you did with an editor in Civ3. You can change many, many more rules in Civ4, but that requires editing XML or other files manually.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

You can also make peaks passable. Oddly, though, the XML for terrain seems to mark Peaks as passable. It also marks them as water? Now I'm confused...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Anyhow, try opening /assets/xml/units/Civ4UnitInfos.xml and changing "bCanMoveImpassable" to 1 from 0 in the unit you want to pass the alps (elephants, etc.) ... while I'm not sure why Peaks don't seem to be impassable, perhaps they really are and I'm just misreading the XML. If that doesn't work, open up /assets/xml/terrain/Civ4TerrainInfos.xml and find Peaks, then change the Peaks value for Water to 0 and Impassable to 1 (or leave at 0 if you want units to pass through peaks).

Comment

Is there a tutorial available on editing the rules in XML, or is there a site on making mods?

Comment

There should be a few out there, yes. XML is pretty simple, just find the option you want to modify and change the 0 to a 1 or the 1 to a 0, if it's a binary option, which most of them are.

You can open an xml file in most any text editor, or in some specific xml editors.

Comment

Working...
                X