CivIV:BTS...No underwater highways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivIV:BTS...No underwater highways?

Or cities on the ocean? Or underwater cities? Or orbiting cities?

"There are on-map ocean trade routes.." Might be some orbiting cities in that space senario, but i would guess that's about it.
    Proud member of the PNY Brigade
    Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

Oh noes, the game hasn't crappy CTPish features built in. This is a gamebreaker.

But Raven, there are at least one scenario which will possibly be of your liking, namely the space civ scenario.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I would like physical trade routes, just not CTP type ones.

How many civs/cities are there out there that are important/famous because they sit on a trade route?
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The thing I really hated about CTP's visible trade routes was that they could be destroyed by piracy in times of peace. So instead of just being an extra dimension of warfare, the visible trade routes were a micromanagement hassle throughout the game. The need to interrupt build queues to build caravan units in order to replace pirated trade routes (assuming I'm remembering the mechanism correctly after so many years) made the hassle even worse.

A much cleaner implementation from a micromanagement perspective would be to have trade routes be disrupted if an enemy unit ends its turn sitting on a trade route and survives any counterattack thrown at it, but then to have the trade route restored automatically when the disrupting unit is destroyed or driven off. Also, there ought to be some redundancy to reflect the fact that blockading Boston can't stop the United States from importing resources through New Orleans or San Francisco (assuming the new trade route mechanism affects resource trades).

I'll wait to see how BTS implements visible trade routes, and how the mechanism works in practice, before I pass judgment. I do hope they have the sense to make it something players can turn off, since no matter what they do, there will almost certainly be players who don't like it.

Comment

The thing I really hated about CTP's visible trade routes was that they could be destroyed by piracy in times of peace. So instead of just being an extra dimension of warfare, the visible trade routes were a micromanagement hassle throughout the game. The need to interrupt build queues to build caravan units in order to replace pirated trade routes (assuming I'm remembering the mechanism correctly after so many years) made the hassle even worse.

A much cleaner implementation from a micromanagement perspective would be to have trade routes be disrupted if an enemy unit ends its turn sitting on a trade route and survives any counterattack thrown at it, but then to have the trade route restored automatically when the disrupting unit is destroyed or driven off. Also, there ought to be some redundancy to reflect the fact that blockading Boston can't stop the United States from importing resources through New Orleans or San Francisco (assuming the new trade route mechanism affects resource trades).

I'll wait to see how BTS implements visible trade routes, and how the mechanism works in practice, before I pass judgment. I do hope they have the sense to make it something players can turn off, since no matter what they do, there will almost certainly be players who don't like it.
            I'm assuming that the start and finish of each visible trade route is defined by the trade route system that is already in CivIV so that there'll be no micromanagement involved in setting up trade routes in BtS.
            LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Re: CivIV:BTS...

Originally posted by Ravenloff
              No underwater highways

Or cities on the ocean?

Or underwater cities?

Or orbiting cities?

Thank God they're not implementing those features
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Actually, I think an underwater highway (tunnel) would be cool, like between England and France. There would have to be a distance limit though. Might as well have no ocean at all if you can just build a tunnel to every continent.
                EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Ideas like that are how things as awful at CtP2 start...now go and self flagellate
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

underwater highways are not ecologically feasible. think what it would do to the environment.

get on a plane.

Comment

Working...
                    X