Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the workers in CivIV Warlords

Hello,

I have CivIV Warlords and have a question conerning the workers in the game. Is it better to just have the computer control the workers? When manually controlling the workers, do you build improvements by looking at the city screen and seeing where they can be built by looking at the circles at the top of the screen? Also, when manually building improvements, just say for instance a plot produces 2 food and 1 gold, and you have the option of building either a farm or a cottage, which one would be more profitable? If anybody has any comments on how to use the workers in the game please let me know.

singletonmj

This thread is a good start to addressing your dilemma:

Vel's Strategy Thread III

Comment

Common Sensei,

Thanks for the link to Vel's Strategy Thread III. I don't know why it says settler under my name. I'll have to change that to noble, which is the level at which I have been playing the game. I have won a few games at this level, or came close to it. Sometimes I would let the computer control the workers, and have a city concentrate on a specific need, thinking that the workers would built improvements to help with that specific need.

Thanks,
      singletonmj

Comment

Titles under names go to way back before Civ4 . These titles change as you post more... and there isn't even a Noble level.

And welcome to Apolyton, singletonmj
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I always prefer to have control of my workers and manage what they do indivually...I am a bit of a control freak like that
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Thanks for the help.

singletonmj

Comment

Re: Using the workers in CivIV Warlords

Originally posted by singletonmj
              Hello,

I have CivIV Warlords and have a question conerning the workers in the game. Is it better to just have the computer control the workers? When manually controlling the workers, do you build improvements by looking at the city screen and seeing where they can be built by looking at the circles at the top of the screen? Also, when manually building improvements, just say for instance a plot produces 2 food and 1 gold, and you have the option of building either a farm or a cottage, which one would be more profitable? If anybody has any comments on how to use the workers in the game please let me know.

singletonmj
              As with almost everything, it boils down to a case by case basis what would work better where.

I find I play under the general rule that if a tile produces 2 or more food, it gets a cottage. This has even extended itself out to resource tiles. I don't really need 4 sugar resources, better off to cottage 3 of them, etc.

Sure, I'll want to get a couple of cities to maximize hammers for wonders and unit production, and 1-2 to maximize food for getting some Great People, where that may change, but generally, MONEY IS KING in CIV.

I never automate workers, and couldn't say whether changing the emphasize buttons in the city screen will impact how the workers upgrade your tiles.

But, step back and look at the city, and ask yourself:

How much food will it take to work all the tiles and how do I get that food?
              Not every city has workable tiles all around, but you should plan to work everything possible, and get that food.

Then ask:
              What do I want this city to produce?

If you want it to produce wonders/units, you need hammers. Build mines, workshops, etc wherever you don't need the food.

If you want it to produce great people, food, food, and more food.

If you want it to produce the $$$, cottages.

You'll probably have some that contribute a bit to 2 of those categories, but it's really best to try to focus.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I only use automate workers while waiting for a boring space victory, where I just don’t feel like managing the empire for 10-20 turns if I’m headed for a sure win. But if you set the workers to leave old improvements and not chop forests (you can do this in the options screen), they can be a time saver.
                I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

I don't really need 4 sugar resources
                  I look at extra resources as a means to get resources I don't have through trade.

Never considered cottaging over them... interesting.

Comment

Yeah...I have this nasty habit of not being able to 'trade' things. Pesky how wars are like that.
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Greaaat.... and im on your WarlordsDemo team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak
                        I look at extra resources as a means to get resources I don't have through trade.
                        I also look at extra resources as a source of money. Somebody is likely to give you x number of bucks per turn for it.

However, if you have more than two or three, I'm a big believer of cottaging over some of them. They end up being worth more that way
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by singletonmj
                          I'll have to change that to noble, which is the level at which I have been playing the game. I have won a few games at this level, or came close to it.

I ussually control my workers myself unless I automate to build roads only.
                          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                          The video may avatar is from

Comment

I don't like automated forest removal, but auto for building roads and such(once you have your main infrastructure in place), works decently.

Comment

Working...
                            X