Starting Build Queues/Strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Build Queues/Strategies

I have some questions about starting build queues specifically and starting strategies generally for single player games on normal continent maps with normal settings. What follows is my general opening strategy, but I would like some input and troubleshooting to see if it can be tweaked. Or maybe I am just totally mad and I need to scrap the whole thing. Would love to hear everyone’s input.

My typical starting build queue is:
    *Warrior (or Scout if I have the right civilization) - With the city maximized to produce food this will pop right as the city reaches level 3 in size. Meanwhile I make a beeline for Bronze Working so I can identify good secondary building sites. I then research Agriculture and The Wheel (if they are not already researched).
    *Worker – This worker goes to work maximizing food production by working agricultural resource tiles or flood plains and sets up roads to potential secondary city sites. Research moves into Hunting and Archery.
    *Settler – This Settler moves to the best city site nearby that hopefully has river access and either copper or horses. The city will begin producing Archers. The first one goes to the capital and the second one stays in the second city. Once it reaches level 3 in size it produces a worker. Research now moves into religious foundation. I try to make a beeline for Monotheism (usually someone has founded Buddhism and Hinduism by the time I reach those technologies, plus Monotheism gives me the Organized Religion civic).
    *Settler – This Settler moves to another nearby city site, which hopefully has coastal access, wonder resources, or something else to recommend it. The third city will also produce Archers to begin with. It also produces a worker once it reaches level 3 in size. Hopefully by the time this city is founded, I have a country full of Jews. If I am there, research begins on Priesthood.
    *Worker (or Oracle if I have researched Priesthood already) – Continues to help the other worker(s) to connect everything and start setting up roads to future city sites. At this point I have three cities and hopefully enough Archers to guard them all. Research focuses on Pottery, Iron Working, Monarchy, and Alphabet (usually in that order, but not always). When I hit Monarchy, I have a revolution and change to Hereditary Rule, Slavery and Organized Religion. When I get Alphabet I trade with my neighbors to get technologies I missed. The second and third cities may begin producing their own Settlers, Missionaries, Workers, or Archers as necessary. Finally when the Oracle gets built, I get Metal Casting. All cities finish whatever they were building and go into a saved build queue of:
    *Forge
    *Library
    *Jewish Temple
    *Granary (but only if it is cheap)
    *Barracks

At this point I have around 5-8 cities. I then usually begin building offensive units to attack my weakest neighbor and make a land grab (unless of course they attack me first). I tend to focus on getting Construction (for catapults), Code of Laws (for the Courthouses), Currency (for the markets), and Feudalism (for the Longbowman and Vassalage).

Thanks in advance for any input.

I think the best advice would be to check Vel's strategy thread which is probably the best single source for strategic advice. Somewhere in the thread you'll find a good guide outlining some basic techniques.

To be very brief, there is no generic strategy that is optimal in all circumstances. There are two major variables which will affect this

a) The leader (starting techs/traits/UU/UB)
    b) The map – particularly what you know from your starting view but also map type comes into play

Read Vel’s guide and practice different starts to see how you get on.

Another thing: practice using slavery as early as possible. Waiting for Monarchy before switching wastes a large part of its value.

Comment

More Warriors is needed in my opinion.

Comment

Builds between the settlers & workers are needed in my opinion so the capital doesn't totally stagnate. (Mixture of military units & cheap buildings)
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
        X