Irritating cyclic redundancy error---HEEEELPPP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritating cyclic redundancy error---HEEEELPPP

So I got the Special Ediiton and now the game don't work.

Some things you should know about me:
    -I am new. Hi!
    -I am not versed in computer magic, so I don't know how to find out what video card my comp has, etc.
    -I have a laptop, and it's not a gaming one either
    -The Civ IV demo worked on this computer, though Gamespot analyzed my computer and said my video hardware wasn't up to scratch. What the heck? ^_-
    -I love Civ.
    -I need help and cannot return this CD to the store since I got this off eBay and thus do not have a game receipt.
    -It said it was data2.cab or something.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

I assume it gives you a cyclic redundancy error during installation, before you even get to the game? That's an error that usually means a damaged/scratched CD. Should wait for someone else to confirm, but that'd certainly be my guess.

And welcome to Apolyton
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

But...but...I can't swap the disc back! Are there no possible ways to fix this?

I hate it how both the discs were so tightly packaged--I'm guessing it was that or the past owner who scratched it thus. And why are jewel cases so rare nowadays? Are computer game companies getting stingier? Geez. XD

So does anyone else know what might be the cause, and if there's a way to fix this? The installation seemed close to completion when the error came up...how disheartening.

Comment

Jewel cases rare for you? Not for me

I guess one thing you could try would be to copy the contents of the CD to a folder on your hard drive, and run the setup from there. Although it's possible, and even likely, that the CD files won't copy over fully because of that same error.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I guess it's worth a try...how would I do that?

Comment

I dont know how well it will work with dvds but for cds my daughter spreads toothpaste on them and then cleans them up and then I am able to make a copy of the CD tracks.
            You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
            There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Toothpaste, huh? Interesting...so before the toothpaste was applied, the CDs didn't work? How did she clean up the toothpaste without wetting or scratching the CD? I know that tissue wiping can leave scratches on the CD sometimes--minor though they are, is that not a risk to that method?

And where can one get the DVD version of Civ IV? In Civ Chronicles? O_o
              Last edited by Risingsun; May 8, 2007, 16:28.

Comment

Working...
              X