Circling the globe and movement point bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circling the globe and movement point bonus

Hi. My first post on these forums. I am playing my first ever Civ4 game on noble/continents/epic, but have played Civ 2 (many times) and Civ 3 (once) so it is actually going very well. (And I did my homework before starting - sweet CS slingshot gave a big tech lead to my Cre/Fin civ).

My first caravel is currently "circling" but I wonder how far I actually need to go. Does circling mean actually returning to the city that built the caravel? Or do I just need to cross the darkness and come back to the opposite side of my borders, i.e. there is a complete line without any blackness across the entire map?

Thanks.

Re: Circling the globe and movement point bonus

Originally posted by VeryBigSword
    Or do I just need to cross the darkness and come back to the opposite side of my borders, i.e. there is a complete line without any blackness across the entire map?
    Yes.

You can even do it by trading different maps from the AI, so all you need to do is map a route around the globe before anyone else.

Welcome to Apolyton by the way.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Thanks dude. I haven't even Alt+Tabbed back to the game and already my question is answered.

Comment

Actually, all you need is a visible tile in each column of the map grid. There doesn't have to be a continuous line of visible tiles circling the globe.
        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

You don't even need to send a caravel around the world. There people that have used land troops on pangea maps. Before the Warlords bug that gave all civs that circumnavigated the world a was fixed, I got the extra movement by tading a world map. You could also do it by combining world maps of civs that have partly circumnavigated the globe.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

I believe you can indeed still get it by trading world maps
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              I believe you can indeed still get it by trading world maps
              I think I should of said "You can also" instead of "You could also"

Comment

I never understood it, if I trade maps with another civ, then we BOTH have exactly the same map after trading, right? That would mean that both of us should get the 'first to circle the globe'
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Likely, the trigger that checks if you 'circle the globe' can only trigger during your turn. This might have been done to shut down abuses in MP. Like that matters.
                  “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

I just got the plus 1 movement by trading a world map with Gandhi (which was one the other continent) who had circled half the globe, and then I went to the other continent in the different direction

Comment

I like to use the circumnavigation bonus as a good metric for determining how I'm doing in a game:

If I'm solidly in control then I know that with my superior intelligence I should have no problem getting caravels and trading maps or exploring so that I get the bonus.

If I'm fighting the hard fight to stay in the game, I might decided that I can't afford to waste research on Caravels or I can't afford time to build them, or I have too many enemies to trade maps. I always intend to circumnavigate eventually, but I'm not surprised when someone else beats me. (BTW these are usually the most fun games)

The worst is when I'm in the middle of a war of survival with Monty and Izzie with almost no research and building nothing but units, when suddenly "Mansa Musa circumnavigates the globe". These are the games where you know you're screwed...

Comment

Working...
                      X