No announcement yet.

Civ4 is incredibly ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you got to keep in mind that Civ is pretty much a board game.... hence, giant units, unrealist representation of landscape, etc...

Everyone has their own vision of what the graphics should look like. Bottom line is that for the game to maintain functionality (you can easily tell one unit type from another, one terrain from another, etc...) realism needs to take a back seat.

If awesome graphics are what you crave, get yourself a good card and buy a FPS or RPG.

PS: I do agree that the rails could be improved.

Comment

Now wait a minute...

You're complaining because you have trouble telling the difference between a road and a railroad from orbit?!???
      No.
      I'm not in the 'from orbit' mode. There's a clear switch between zooming in/out and going above the clouds (details shown change, and different bugs happen if you have a pitiful vid card).
      I'm just saying that seeing railroads is mandatory when you want to move your units, and that in a mode where you see your units, you must see the railroads clearly. That is not the case. And don't give me 'orbit' please. When I see a maceman towering over a city, I forget all realism and can't understand why I shouldn't see a railroad too.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
        EU3 rocks
        That's good. I just bought it

Is it as easy as EU and EUII.

And does this mean that the forum is active again? Used to love the interactive AARs.

Comment

Gameplay-wise it's about the same. Some annoyances are gone, e.g. regiments fill up their losses automatically as long as you have the manpower. Some new concepts like national ideas (translation?) are in. Events don't follow history as close as in EU2 anymore, which some like and some not. About forums I don't know, I'm still in my first game (great campaign as Portugal), advancing slowly, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of forums with AARs available.

Comment

i can doped out all of u must have chopped all the forests down.thats the reason for your ugly graphics.
            i dont chop any trees in singleplayer games and
            the terrain seems pretty comfortable and even better in later eras!

enviromentalism!!!

Comment

Kind of odd the look of roads and railroads just seems to get worse with every new Civ.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

With all this Graphic improvements people seem to forget that the map is only a symbolic presentation of data similar to a pie chart or things like that. Saying a military unit is bigger than a building is like saying the letters of the cityname in a city map are unrealistic big.

A realistic view would be that what you see from an aeroplane and nearly useless.

Comment

Working...
                X