Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several questions

Hi guys.
    I'm starting up a 17 player civ4 warlords game with a bunch of friends and had a few questions about my first multiplayer game.

1. What's the general consensus about the best way to use a great general? particularly in multiplayer.

I've always favoured using them to build academies to boost my military pump. Once my 1-2 pumps are done I use them as instructors... Am I missing out on something by not using them as a field general?

2. How does religion work in multiplayer pitboss? In single player sharing a religion makes the computer less likely to attack you. Is there any such mechanism in multiplayer?

3. How do trade relations work in multiplayer pitboss? Does it take several turns to work out a trade deal?

I'll think of some more no doubt...
    Thanks,
    A

1. I'm not sure if there's a consensus, I think many people use them as instructors though.

2. The attitude system does (obviously) not work in MP games. But you still get the happy points, culture points, etc. You may play a role playing game in which you decide that religion does matter though. (we do that)

3. ? never play pitboss.

17 player MP games......... that's going to be tricky! Above 10-12 players is really hard to accomplish! Good luck!
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I haven't played MP yet, but I use to have the first Great General attached to a unit to have a superunit early on. This makes it's easier to gain some quick and probably more important (as it's early in the game) victories. Using one unit as supermedic (with the lvl 3 medic available through the general promotions) is also quite powerful in the battlefield.

And good luck with your game, sounds fun!

Comment

3. All deals can be done in one turn in PITBOSS.
        If both of you are online, the deal making is similar to normal MP.
        If the other one is offline, you can make your suggestion and the other guy gets the diplo window when he logs in. Then he can accept it or make a counter offer.

There is no limit how many times one can log on during one turn, so you can bargain the deal during one turn even if you are not online the same time.

Of course you can discuss about the deal via PMs or e-mail, so there is no need to make multiple offers.
        Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Re: Several questions

Originally posted by frenzyfol
          1. What's the general consensus about the best way to use a great general? particularly in multiplayer.

I've always favoured using them to build academies to boost my military pump. Once my 1-2 pumps are done I use them as instructors... Am I missing out on something by not using them as a field general?
          There's one thing you might be missing out on. Having at least one warlord, if it brings up the attached unit's level up to 6, guarentees that you'll be able to build Westpoint later in the game. He doesn't necessarily have to still be around when it comes time to build that National Wonder, just having a level 6 unit at some point is enough.

I usually use my first Great General to create that level 6 unit, then afterwards use them for nothing but Academies and Advisors. I find Warlords in the field just die too quickly, it seems a waste of a GG when I can use it for something that can be around for the whole game.

Comment

Thanks for the great responses.

One more question.
            I did a quick run through using the pitboss on Friday with one of the guys in the upcoming game.
            My understanding is that if you set a turn timer and certain players have not made their turn by the end of that timer then the AI will make their turn for them.

I was hoping that I could use this feature to keep the game rolling forward at least 1-2 moves per day. However if you set a turn timer for 12 hours then only 1 move can be made in that twelve hours. If everyone makes their move before that twelve hours is up the timer is not reset.
            I was hoping that if everyone had made a move within that 12 hours the timer would reset. This would allow us to make 20 moves in a day if we were all available, and at least one move per day if people were away. However it seems like this is not the case.

The alternative is to set no timer. The problem there being that if someone's away for two weeks then the turns don't get made.

Anybody know a way to set a turn timer that resets if everyone makes a turn? Or am I missing something, is there a better way to run this game?

I'll post this in the MP civ4 forum too.
            Thanks,
            A

Comment

Originally posted by frenzyfol
              Thanks for the great responses.

One more question.
              I did a quick run through using the pitboss on Friday with one of the guys in the upcoming game.
              My understanding is that if you set a turn timer and certain players have not made their turn by the end of that timer then the AI will make their turn for them.
              NO! The turn will simply pass without them doing anything, unless they set up queues of moves. Their buildings will build and their automated or advance-queued moves will be made, but the AI doesn't make any changes beyond what it would if you played a SP turn and just hit the end of turn button as soon as you could.

I was hoping that I could use this feature to keep the game rolling forward at least 1-2 moves per day. However if you set a turn timer for 12 hours then only 1 move can be made in that twelve hours. If everyone makes their move before that twelve hours is up the timer is not reset.
              I was hoping that if everyone had made a move within that 12 hours the timer would reset. This would allow us to make 20 moves in a day if we were all available, and at least one move per day if people were away. However it seems like this is not the case.
              That's not the case. If you set it to 12 hours, what happens is the turn either ends at 12 hours, or when every player has hit end-turn. So you can play a 12 hour turntimer, at one turn a minute, if all six or whatever of you are online at once. You don't want to set it too fast, because if most people are having their turns skipped, it's pretty boring, and it too strongly favors those who are online all the time (students, or people without a job, for example).

The alternative is to set no timer. The problem there being that if someone's away for two weeks then the turns don't get made.
              That's not a good idea

Anybody know a way to set a turn timer that resets if everyone makes a turn? Or am I missing something, is there a better way to run this game?
              As said above, the timer acts as you want it to here, so not a problem

Usually timers set between 12 hours to 24 hours work best for most people depending on who's in your game. If you have entirely students or people who can log on before and after work 12 hours works okay, but if the turn timer skips you during a war, it really sucks... as you don't get any attacks (attacks can't be automated IIRC) ...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Good stuff.
                Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X