A godless world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A godless world

There’s a first time for everything and in my current game I shared a continent with 3 other civs (total of 9 on the map) and we did not capture a single religion. Now that I have found them all, the split seems to be

Mehmed and Rameses share a continent and acquired the first two religions
    Napoleon, Hannibal and Wang Kon got the other five.

With Islam now founded on a small island off the coast of France, we’ll now see which is of these have the best followers who can spread their teachings to our pagan lands.

This is an amusing setup.

Comment

I just had a game, 18 civs on large fractal with low sea level, where we got 5 religions on a smallish subcontinent with just me and Isabella, the other 2 on another subcontinent with 3 AIs.

Yep that left a total of 13 AIs on the large continent, totally w/o religion for the first half of the game. Was very interesting.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
        I just had a game, 18 civs on large fractal with low sea level, where we got 5 religions on a smallish subcontinent with just me and Isabella, the other 2 on another subcontinent with 3 AIs.

Yep that left a total of 13 AIs on the large continent, totally w/o religion for the first half of the game. Was very interesting.

Wodan
        Wait... is this THE 'Wodan?' Are you bragging that you kept a good portion of the world pagan? Did Zeus or Quetzalcoatl have anything to do with this?

General Question: If you were an ancient pagan deity would you join Apolyton or CivFanatics?
        "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
        "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
        "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by CarnalCanaan
          General Question: If you were an ancient pagan deity would you join Apolyton or {The Un-named Site}?
          Silly question. If you were a smart deity you'd read both.

We have some excellent analysts. AND we have Vel. Not reading us would be a serious flaw in a player's education on Civ.

They also have some excellent analysts. And they have some of the best work on extremely high-difficulty games. Not reading The Un-named Site can leave flaws in the game-play of even the best experts.

I really don't get why this rivalry exists myself. We're both about Civ. We both offer good advice. We both improve your game-play. And even long-time followers of one site can benefit from the thought's on the other site.

That said, my apologies for getting OT.

I've only once encountered a continent where no one founded any religions. And then it was only a 3 civ continent, nothing at all like the what you're talking about. What a fascinating opportunity to send over three missionaries and suddenly gain three different allies, assuming you like a builder-flavor game.

-abs
          Cool sigs are for others. I'm just a llama.

Comment

I've seen it a couple of times, but all but once it has been a solo civilization on its own land mass. The one time I found a multi-civ grouping on a continent with no religion it was 3 civs. I also discovered an interesting fact that game: religion only spreads spontaneously by trade connections from the holy city. In that game, I sent missionaries by caravel over to the heathen isle in order to cherry-pick who got what religion and create some tension there, while deliberately avoiding Astronomy for a long time. In more than 100 turns of waiting, not one single city there got a religion except via my missionaries. Only once I had Astronomy and was able to trade with them did they start spreading through convection.
            Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

very very interesting... ive dealt with this situation many times. this being a strategy thread however, i will offer some advise. go 4 libraries then possible code of laws. code of laws gives you a religion and the AI dosent usually make a b-line 4 it, even on the harder levels. if you still dont get it, i like the trade route strategy offered above...

good to b back

piece
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Wait... is this THE 'Wodan?' Are you bragging that you kept a good portion of the world pagan? Did Zeus or Quetzalcoatl have anything to do with this?
                It wasn't anything I did, of course. It just happened that way.

The game was very, very interesting. Though, the "opportunity" to send a couple of missionaries over wasn't really all that. Once I discovered it, all my religions spread over there like wildfire. Every turn, 5-6 cities got a religion. Bam, bam, bam, just like that.

Originally posted by CarnalCanaan General Question: If you were an ancient pagan deity would you join Apolyton or CivFanatics?
                Well I'm on both but I don't see how it matters anyway. I like the interface over there better, for what it's worth. Otherwise, I agree with absilimiard.

Wodan

Comment

General Question: If you were an ancient pagan deity would you join Apolyton or CivFanatics?
                  As my firewall at work blocks Fanatics, I read Apolyton at work and Fanatics at home

Comment

I am already a member of Apolyton.
                    If you aren't confused,
                    You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by eris

I am already a member of Apolyton.
                      Yeah, but you're a modern pagan diety, not an ancient one.

Ancient pagan dieties would probably be happier with Apolyton since it sounds Greek. And they're like, ancient and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by popejubal

Yeah, but you're a modern pagan diety, not an ancient one.

Ancient pagan dieties would probably be happier with Apolyton since it sounds Greek. And they're like, ancient and stuff.
                        If you are attempting to be flattering by calling me young, it is not quite working.

The story of the Trojan War begins with Eris starting a squabble betweeen 3 major Goddesses, Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite, with a golden apple marked "For the Fairest". The Goddesses end up using Paris of Troy as a judge, and from there the troubles just keep multiplying. Unless you consider the other Greek Goddesses to also be "modern" then Eris should be considered as being like, ancient and stuff, as well.

And it seems to me more than appropriate for a Greek Goddess who started one of the more famous wars to be here on Apolyton.

As to whether Eris is also "modern" and as active an influence on human affairs as ever, just check your latest headlines.

Now, if I could be just as successful starting wars between others in a Civ game, that would be even more pertinent to this site.
                        If you aren't confused,
                        You don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                        X