No announcement yet.

Bigger Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally upgraded my dinosaur desktop (I was running CIV 4 on my laptop) and I can't believe the performance difference. There was no way I could play bigger than a standard map before and that would always grind during the end game. But now huge maps are running like a dream. That's 4 GB RAM (though Vista only recognizes, what, 3.2 or something?), a dual core processor, and an nVidia GeForce 7900 for you. Finally up to snuff

So, right now, I'm finally enjoying large maps for basically the first time ever. w00t!
    One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
    "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

Well...if you have mucho dinero, it will be

Asmodean
      I can get mucho dinero for a purchase like that...this system cost about £1500 all in all.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by rjwoer
        I finally upgraded my dinosaur desktop (I was running CIV 4 on my laptop) and I can't believe the performance difference. There was no way I could play bigger than a standard map before and that would always grind during the end game. But now huge maps are running like a dream. That's 4 GB RAM (though Vista only recognizes, what, 3.2 or something?), a dual core processor, and an nVidia GeForce 7900 for you. Finally up to snuff

So, right now, I'm finally enjoying large maps for basically the first time ever. w00t!
        4 gigs of RAM. my dream.

how much RAM does that video card have? I used to be able to run huge maps with my old video card, but it died (I bought it specifically for Oblivion). I'm back to my old card. Nothing higher than standard for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

4 gigs of RAM. my dream.
          A bit of overkill really, at least for games. Most of them have been designed to need no more than 2. I had 4 for awhile until I upgraded and there really wasn't any difference from having 2.

Comment

The game runs decently with an Athlon 64 3200+(socket 754 2.2GHz) and 2 gigs of RAM with a Radeon 9800 pro 128MB video card. The problem I have is the delay between turns on a huge map. So, my solution is to upgrade to at LEAST an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with a Radeon X2900(when it comes out). So, now I get to wait for the X2900 release...

Comment

Working...
            X