Bridge Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Building

I have justed started playing the game, and I got a tech that enables bridge building. I think it was construction. How do you build a bridge? I don't see any unit or town that has that ability.

I have 2 land masses that are separated by a single coastal water tile that I would just love to have a bridge across for workers and such. It's like this (by tile):

|Pigs|Water|Town|

I would like to access the pigs for my town, if possble.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I didn't see the answer in the manual or in the forum.

Thanks

If a developed pig tile (that is, you have made a ranch on it) is by a river and your city is adjacent to that same river, you will have pigs in your city's resource box.

Otherwise, all you need to do is make a road directly from that tile to your desired city; "Construction" only makes it easier for units to traverse rivers between tiles.

Comment

There are no bridges in the game that work like that.

In the early part of the game, roads don't cross rivers. They're disconnected, as far as unit movement goes. Once you get construction, bridges are automatically built to connect all roads that cross rivers.
      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Oh, ok. So I can't build a bridge across the all water tile. Unfortunately, there is no way to connect to the pigs, because it is completely separated by water from the town.

Thanks for the help so quickly.
        Last edited by Uncle_Woody; February 3, 2007, 00:31.

Comment

This is one of the things I think was discussed some time ago - it would be very nice to have the ability to build bridges to cross short (one or two tile) water spaces. This could be enabled by some mid-game technology, and then a little longer bridges by a later technology.
          Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Keeping in mind the scale of the typical map, a bridge across even one tile of coastal water would be a major accomplishment, something along the lines of the Chunnel, or at least the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. I'd like that option, but not until a very modern tech, maybe plastics.

As to connecting that pig from the OP, the coastal tile provides a trade route, but you may have to put a road on the pig tile to provide a route from the pig farm (interior of tile) to the coast (edge of the tile). I seem to recall needing to build a road on a resource tile located on a river in order to use the river as part of a route to bring the resource to my cities. Try that and see if it helps.
            The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Maybe we could build a ferrycrossing, to faciliate movement... Something a workboat can build, essentially a city without production, citizens and the likes.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by patcon
                Keeping in mind the scale of the typical map, a bridge across even one tile of coastal water would be a major accomplishment, something along the lines of the Chunnel, or at least the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. I'd like that option, but not until a very modern tech, maybe plastics.

As to connecting that pig from the OP, the coastal tile provides a trade route, but you may have to put a road on the pig tile to provide a route from the pig farm (interior of tile) to the coast (edge of the tile). I seem to recall needing to build a road on a resource tile located on a river in order to use the river as part of a route to bring the resource to my cities. Try that and see if it helps.
                Hah... it not so hard to build a bridge over one tile wide water.
                Just build an akveduct in nearby city!

I have had countless "water bridges" in my games.
                Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                  Maybe we could build a ferrycrossing, to faciliate movement... Something a workboat can build, essentially a city without production, citizens and the likes.
                  Ferry crossing makes far more sense than some staggering bridge...it would be quite handy I suppose, although you could just have a transport ship at the ready
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Or perhaps a national wonder. "The Woolwich Ferry" or something, that will allow instantaneous movement of units between coastal squares
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

as long as the ferries are not from India
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                      X