No announcement yet.

obsolete resources (ivory, whale, fur)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obsolete resources (ivory, whale, fur)

i'm a little confused about how the mechanics of resource obsolescence with regard to city happiness bonuses and trade.

i really only noticed this once i reached plastics and thus fur became obsolete, so i'm not entirely sure what happened when whale and ivory were obsoleted. i'd go back and do some checking, but my computer is a bit old, so load times take way too long for me to bother.

so, i discover plastics, but i'm currently getting fur via trade with another civ. i check to see how this affects my cities' happiness, and see that fur is still giving me a +2 happiness (with market). this is still the case another turn after i plastics have been discovered.

if i cancel the trade deal that gave me fur, but i then acquire the resource in my own territory, it will no longer give me city happiness bonuses. however, i can still obtain it via trade, and when i do, the happiness bonus returns.

so i'm guessing what happens is that i can no longer domestically "produce" or "harvest" the resource, but i can still buy it from other "less advanced" civs?

is this how it's supposed to work?

I never noticed

Will pay more attention on the next game
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Normally any trade deals you have involving whale/fur/ivory are cancelled when you obtain the tech which makes it obsolete.

Now, what I have not noticed is whether that is only if you are trading it to the other civ, or you are getting it from them.

So yes, ambiguity remains after all (for myself).

Comment

I never noticed

Will9, pay more attention on the next game
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: obsolete resources (ivory, whale, fur)

Originally posted by tai4ji2x
          i'm a little confused about how the mechanics of resource obsolescence with regard to city happiness bonuses and trade.

if i cancel the trade deal that gave me fur, but i then acquire the resource in my own territory, it will no longer give me city happiness bonuses. however, i can still obtain it via trade, and when i do, the happiness bonus returns.

so i'm guessing what happens is that i can no longer domestically "produce" or "harvest" the resource, but i can still buy it from other "less advanced" civs?

is this how it's supposed to work?
          That's something I've noticed as well. I'll check my next game to confirm, but I don't remember getting the happiness from the traded resource... but i can trade for it. Maybe it's a bug?

Comment

Sounds like a bug.

Comment

Something related, why are the other civs willing to trade stuff for coal, when they don't yet have any use for it?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

yeah that's kind of a bug or exploit. But I use that exploit. I love trading uranium to them when they can't even use it.

but I'm pretty sure deals are cancelled. But I remember thinking last game it's backwords. I should still be able to trade ivory or fur to less advanced civs if they don't have plastics. So it is possible, the mechanics are backwards in this game. Which would be a bug. Or possibly a feature.

Comment

And why does fur obsolete, anyways? It's still in use, and we invented plastics many turns ago. Not as widespread?
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                    But I remember thinking last game it's backwords. I should still be able to trade ivory or fur to less advanced civs if they don't have plastics. So it is possible, the mechanics are backwards in this game. Which would be a bug. Or possibly a feature.
                    I think that if you should be allowed to do it any way then it should be that you can get happiness by getting ivory etc from the backwards civs but can't trade it to them. I'm assuming they become obsolete because at your level of advancement ivory hunting becomes banned for ethical reasons. If anything there could be some happiness from "black-market" ivory from those countries were the hunting continues.

Even so, I think that if it happens it must be a bug.

Comment

I think it is the Black Market option. Your Civ has legislated against the use of Furs, or Ivory, or Whales. You cannot harvest it, but less advanced Civs can sell it to your less scrupulous citizens. It's just an undocumented feature, like most Black Markets are. (Now, where did I put my fur-lined ivory-buttoned whale-skin coat?)
                      If you aren't confused,
                      You don't understand.

Comment

so maybe it isn't backwards. I'm pretty sure that is how it works in the game.

Because I remember one game when I discovered plastics my deals of me giving away furt to other nations was cancelled. Yes I often give that stuff away to try to improve relations.

Comment

I remember seeing this in on my first game. I am amazed that this still persists. It sounds more like a bug rather than an 'undocumented feature' though...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X