Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do work boats work?

Hi there.

I have a problem understanding the way work boats work. I want to improve my coastal cities with some fishing boats, but the work boat can't do anything. When I put it on automatic mode, sometimes fishing boats appear on my coasts, but mostly not. What am I doing wrong?

Greetz

Steve

For fish research fishing, build work boat, move work boat to fish, and there should be option to use the work boat on the fish. This consumes the work boat and you get the new higher yield from the fish tile.

Less important but worth mentioning is that you still have to protect the tile as enemies can destroy the work boat with their offensive ships.

Comment

I was somewhat confused by work boats the first time I played. Basically... the boat unit builds resource improvements. You can only build one where there is a resource to be improved - fish, clams, crabs, etc.. The improvement is represented by what I think is a wooden circle (of fishing nets?) around the resource, and increases the yield of that tile. On the other hand, any tile can be worked. Having a citizen work on gathering resources in a sea tile is, IIRC, represented by a pair of small sailing boats.
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Like what Ari said only I think the graphics are the other way around.

If you use a fishing boat on a resource then you get that resource (plus one health in all cities with fish for example) and that is represented by a small boat on the tile.

If the tile happens to be within the area that a city can use then it also increases the yield of that tile when worked (eg by three food for fish) and is represented by a wooden circle with a net.

Comment

Their is anet out if it is being worked. If it isn't being worked there is no net and the sail is down. A square without boats that is being worked has a boat with it's sail up.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Yes, unless you have a specific resource nearby you don't need Workboats in order to work your coastal areas. They only function with special resources like Fish, Clams , Crabs and Whales. Otherwise they do nothing.

Comment

Don't forget work boats are also a cheap way to explore you immediate coastal surroundings before you get Sailing.
              ...and I begin to understand that there are no new paths to track, because, look, there are already footprints on the moon. -- Kerkorrel

Comment

Working...
              X