Religious Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Wars

I was reading through the news and thinking about Pakistan and India's (and south asia vs. Arabia/Persian in general) history and how religion has shaped that part of the world more than anything. The idea of holy wars has been suggested before, but it could make Civ4 insanely more fun, I believe and should be explored further.

In order to implement this idea, I was thinking along the lines of having a civilization being able to produce military units that they could send to terrorize or wipe out religions in other cities or just take over or raze cities. However, these military units would not be part of that country's formal army, and no war would have to be declared. You could muster up a couple of allies and assault your heathen neighbor, or if they had your holy city, occupy it. This would obviously sour your relations with the country with the religion you attacked more (-7 our religions are at war) but you wouldn't have to declare war. If you chose to declare war at the same time, production of these military units could become cheaper.

Along these lines, (of course for PC reasons, this would never be implemented), but the later religions, such as Christianity and Islam especially, could have an advantage in producing these units so they could spread their religions faster (since Islam has little impact on the game but in history, it kinda has... just a tad).

And if you look around at the present day, this is almost exactly what happens. Saudi Arabia is the US' lover, except for the fact that it is actually the government that funds its holy warriors that attack by proxy. And throughout history, there is so much fighting out of any official gov'ts' hands, this could account for it. Possibly, these units could even just pop out of contentious cities from time to time as well (kinda like the Knights Templar wonder from CIV 3 conquests Middle Ages).

I think this would exponentially increase the level of fun of Civ, especially during the somewhat boring middle ages.
    May it come that all the Radiances will be known as ones own radiances

VonSharma, you might want to look at the Omens scenerio in Warlords; that scenerio includes the feature that if you use a missonary to spread your religion it wipes out the other one at the same time.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ah, I haven't had the chance to play Warlords yet, but that does sound interesting. Its realistic in some situations but not all, but more importantly, I think a full fledged holy wars would be a crapload of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by VonSharma
        However, these military units would not be part of that country's formal army, and no war would have to be declared.
        Part of the problem with this is that the AI would consider itself in a perptual state of war and probably build nothing but those types of units. This would leave it's regular forces weak and easy prey. It would also get rather frustrating losing new cities to missionaries when you weren't even at war at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
          VonSharma, you might want to look at the Omens scenerio in Warlords; that scenerio includes the feature that if you use a missonary to spread your religion it wipes out the other one at the same time.
          Really, I wonder how they managed to do that. I don't suppose you know whether that would be some XML entry I could edit myself do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Part of the problem with this is that the AI would consider itself in a perptual state of war and probably build nothing but those types of units. This would leave it's regular forces weak and easy prey. It would also get rather frustrating losing new cities to missionaries when you weren't even at war at the time.
            That's a good point. I suppose it could require a national wonder to be built and only that city and another could produce holy warriors. I'm sure Blake could figure out how to make the AI not so stupid in that regard.

Interstingly though, some modern day countries religious armies are stronger than their national ones... I guess the mideast countries could be considered stupid AI's or somethin.

Another pretty realistic dimension would be along the lines of what the creators kept talkin about before civ4 came out with really branching and specializing the tech tree (which I don't feel is that radically specialized) and create a fairly radical course of research for religious techs that leads to holy warriors (sorta like in Conquests where each civ in any of the scenarios had pretty unique, albeit truncated, branches to follow). If you look around, this is also something that's sorta happened with religions in history (took the renaissance to get us back on a more productive research branch there).

Also, this would go along with something others have mentioned before about having a religious victory where maybe 80% of the world's cities share a religion.

I don't know, I guess not many other are digging this idea, but I feel this could add so many dimensions to the gameplay and be ultra,ultra fun.

Comment

Working...
            X