startup hanging at 'init file catalog'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• startup hanging at 'init file catalog'

Ive posted on civilization fanatics about this issue and emailed 2k about it as well. Ive tried numerous methods trying to get around this issue. Has anyone else had this problem.

This is as far as my init log gets before it just freezes

[6603.250] DBG: CIV Init
    [6603.281] VERSION: App: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Civilization4.exe
    [6603.281] VERSION: Build: Thu Mar 30 10:49:29 2006
    [6603.281] VERSION: 1.6.1.1841 (45604)
    [6603.359] VERSION: Mod Loaded: none

i run an nvidia 6600, but so far it doesnt seem to be a video issue

That's as far as my log goes also, so I suspect that's not a useful log in this here instance

Do you have any more logs? If not, edit your civilization4.ini file in your \my docs\my games\ [Either Civilization 4 or Warlords, depending on which game you're starting] folder... make sure the logs = 1 line is in there in the right place [it will be Zero unless you enabled it].

Just refusing to run implies a lot of different potential problems... is it opening the little screen in the middle of your screen that starts talking about initializing things, at all? Definitely uninstall/delete all folders relating to/reinstall, make sure you have DirectX9.0c (the game comes with it), etc... you could in theory also have a bad disc, consider that possibility.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Wait, mine actually has a line after that, presumably what your title is referring to:
      DBG: FILE Cat Init.
      Interesting... you've probably just got a bad install, is my guess. Definitely reinstall, and make sure you're wiping the folders that it's installed in (both /prog files/ and /my docs/my games/) out in between uninstall/reinstall. If this repeats after a reinstall, then I definitely suggest taking it back to the store you bought it from and getting a replacement copy, most stores will do that within a few days at least of the purchase.

Comment

Having the same problem on a latitude d820. The little screen that is supposed to show the inits just flashes without displaying anything and then dies. My log file makes it to:

DBG: FILE Cat Init

Nothing after that. I've tried the patches, upgraded video/sound/chipset/dvd drivers, bios updates.

Comment

Do you have any info on your computer? Have you tried reinstalling?

Comment

I'm running on a DELL latitude d820 laptop with Windows XP PRO supplied by my work. The video card is an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110m with 256Mb of video RAM. The sound card is a SigmaTel Audio. 2Gb of ram is installed. I've update the BIOS, video, audio, chipset and DVD drive using the latest drivers from the DELL website. I also did Windows Update and made sure I had the latest DirectX. I went to www.systemrequirementslab.com and ran the test on my system for CivIV and it told me that I exceeded all min requirements and met the recommended requirements. Only the video just fell short of recommended (but easily exceeded the minimum) although I'm not sure why. I've also tried re-install of CivIV and Warlords, both from CD. Should I run dxdiag? I did this once, but I'm not sure what to make of the results.

Comment

systemrequiremenslab isn't that useful It just checks some basic things.

My guess is the quadro is the problem; the quadro is a great card, but it is ultimately intended not for gaming but for professional graphics (CAD and such) and has a lot of optimizations that, although quite good, may cause who knows what conflicts with a game that is not intended to be played on a quadro.

I'd recommend seeing if you can try a few different drivers - and I'd use nVidia's drivers, not Dell's, if you are able to. Often the newest drivers cause as many problems as they fix.

dxdiag gets you the info on your computer, it doesn't really diagnose problems unless you have hardware issues.

Comment

snoopy369 - thanks, I will try to find a driver straight from nvidia. You are right about the card, it is business oriented and not meant for gaming. I use a lot of CAD tools, but they are generally static and are not the same as the dynamic movie like graphics of the game. I will post a reply if I find something that works.

Comment

I think the problem is with my DVDrom. On a suggestion I took the shady route and installed a different main executable. Someone gave me an altered executable that doesn't go to the CD for loading. I simply backed up my original installed executable and dropped in the hacked version. It works just fine. I'm guessing that when the system attempts to access the DVDrom for validation from the Civ CD, it dies. Now I have a dilemma. I can only play with the hacked version, othewise I wasted my money. The Device Manager lists my DVD as an HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8084N.

Comment

Working...
                  X