Where is the Civ4 CD Key stored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the Civ4 CD Key stored?

Before anyone gets all upset about this being a piracy topic... I promise... it's not.

I lost my Civ4 CD and case awhile back. Lost the warlords case as well, though I do still have the warlords CD itself since it basically never leaves the drive. Both the game and the expansion are installed just fine, and I have the manuals for both still. I've searched my whole house and I just can't find the CD cases. However, I'm figuring that somewhere within the bowels of my hard drive, Civ4 stores the CD key. I'd like to enter the CD key into Steam's product activation system so that I won't have to worry about the missing stuff anymore. I was hoping that someone out there knew where on my computer the CD key was stored so I could just switch to using Steam. And no, I'm not keen on using a no-cd crack. Any ideas?

You can't do that. Civ4 doesn't even have a CD key, and you didn't enter the key when installing them. The Steam version might well have a key, I dunno, but the retail version most certainly doesn't.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Really? It doesn't? Hmm, well that'd explain why I couldn't find it anywhere. :-P

I just assumed that it was there somewhere. Well, that makes it really hard to activate the existing game on Steam.

Comment

I'm not sure about it, not having used the Steam version, but I believe you're not even supposed to be able to transfer your retail copy to Steam. I know you could do that with old Valve games, though.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It's certainly starting to look like that's the case.

Comment

Working...
          X