"Inherited" resource not recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Inherited" resource not recognized

I'm playing a game where the barbs built a yummy city with ivory and sugar just outside my borders. I conquered it for my fourth city, and the barbs had been nice enough to hook up the ivory for me. But, when I looked in my cities, there was no ivory shown. I figured this was because I didn't have hunting at the time I took the city, so I took a quick detour to research hunting. Imagine my dismay when I still didn't have ivory. I finally built a cottage over the camp, then a camp over the cottage. Now I have ivory. Strange...

Here's a screenshot. Note that the ivory has a road and a camp, but there's no ivory resource shown.
    Attached Files

Comment

Save game:
      Attached Files

Comment

If you don't have hunting, you don't get to use the ivory.
        Even though the barbs built a camp for you, your people don't know how to use it.

Once you research hunting, you still won't have ivory that turn, but on the following turn, the ivory will appear and enable elephants.

Comment

Yes, that's what I was expecting, but I had to destroy the camp and rebuild it to gain access to ivory. It was several turns after I researched hunting that I started building a cottage on the ivory square, and six turns after that before the cottage was finished. During that whole time I still didn't have ivory.

Theory 1: barbs can't hook up ivory.
          Theory 2: something was wedged because I didn't have hunting when I conquered the camp, and I had to remove and rebuild the camp to reset things.
          Theory 3: something completely different.

Comment

Very interesting.

I've had this happen often with oil wells.
            If I went the democracy path instead of the railroad path, other players will often have combustion before I do.

When I acquire a square with an oil well, I don't get the oil even if I have scientific method, until I get combustion myself.
            Once I get combustion, or rather, the turn after combustion, is when I can start building destroyers and subs.

Maybe ivory works differently?
            I play vanilla CivIV 1.61, maybe it works differently in warlords or a warlords patch?

Comment

Well, in my current game Warlords latest patch I just captured a barb city that has an Ivory resource next to the city, but the Barbs weren't kind enough to improve any tiles so I can't help with this issue. I've had Hunting for quite a while though; I'm playing on a "Highlands" map and needed to build archers on the border cities just to protect myself from barbs.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

So this remains a mystery.

Comment

Odd. I've never noticed anything like that before...

I wonder if saving the game, quitting out and then reloading (the turn after you discover hunting) would've fixed it.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Just one thing I noticed is that you could have saved a little time by pillaging the camp and then just rebuilding it – rather than wasting turns on a cottage.

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion
                      Just one thing I noticed is that you could have saved a little time by pillaging the camp and then just rebuilding it – rather than wasting turns on a cottage.
                      I didn't realize I needed to pillage it until it was inside my borders. Is there any way to pillage in my own territory?

Comment

You can pillage in your own territory just to save time.

You receive no money when you pillage in friendly territory, however.

Comment

Working...
                        X