No announcement yet.

Civ 2.42 is better than Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ3 also had spearmen. Clearly they are the same game with better graphics.
    - Dregor

Comment

and in civ3 spearmen can defeat tanks as they can in civ4. Okay I haven't seen it yet, but it's possible. . I have seen war elephants defeat tanks. War elephants are far too strong in this game.

Comment

I've seen it in both, but I guess it's just how the dice roll every once in awhile.

War elephants arn't too strong, try walking against a pikeman or even a spearman in a city.

Comment

I loved smax and colonization, cIv3 was definitely a downer for me.

the one fall back about civ 4 is that it made civ2 and smax all unplayable for me. I just keep thinking where are the cool stuff that I miss from civ 4....

Think about it.. I can still easily play a game of moo2 even though moo3 is out... purely because moo3 was so awful..

Interestingly colonization still has a pull factor for me. I would really love sid to do an update....

Another great example of this is sid's pirate games and railroad tychoon games. I can't pick up the originals anymore!
          Come visit the SMAC Mod
          You can download the latest mod by
          http://code.google.com/p/civ4smac/
          Fan of the original SMAC? join us and help

Comment

I used to still play SMAC semi-regularly. A few times a year. Haven't played it since civ4 came out. . I think eventually I will play again. Only because the atmosphere is totatly different. There is still some cool stuff that isn't in civ games.

Comment

I love Civ 4 of course, but I can not see myself totally abandoning SMAX and Colonization. The flavour of those games makes them something unique. And there is the nostalgia factor too, I guess.

Still - Civ 4 is a great leap forward for the 4X genre.

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                I used to still play SMAC semi-regularly. A few times a year. Haven't played it since civ4 came out. . I think eventually I will play again. Only because the atmosphere is totatly different. There is still some cool stuff that isn't in civ games.
                Wait for the CivIV SMAC mod. Which I hope gets finished.

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH

Wait for the CivIV SMAC mod. Which I hope gets finished.

http://apolyton.net/civgroups/news.php?civgroupid=70
                  If you guys help out here:

or here:

I have no doubt we can make it awesome!
                  Come visit the SMAC Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                    I love Civ 4 of course, but I can not see myself totally abandoning SMAX and Colonization. The flavour of those games makes them something unique. And there is the nostalgia factor too, I guess.
                    I'm somehow fascinated by a potential combination of elements of Civ 4, Pirates! and Colonization. Even just a combo of Pirates! and Colonization could be fun, taking direct control of privateers and sea battles during wars of independence.

Comment

Civ II is crap compared to Civ 4. Graphics, game mechanics, additions, etc. In other words Civ 4 is light years ahead.

Comment

I give Civ4 a rating of -1 as I can not get it to work on my abaccus.

But seriously, scripting made Civ2 better than Civ3.

But a programmer can now do that in Civ4 and much much more. So Civ4 is better.
                        "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

I think that civ3 was a step back from smac and civ 4 is still closer to smac. There are still loads of things missing from civ4 that smac had...

interludes, throne room, story based mini plots. a unit construction workshop. Better diplomacy and better un council.

Just because something is newer doens't mean its better.
                          Come visit the SMAC Mod

Comment

Civ4 is way more balanced though and the AI is better, with part of that being advances and part being clever game design.

Comment

Civ 3 is a POS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin Berchler

Interestingly colonization still has a pull factor for me. I would really love sid to do an update....
                                Ah...Colonization. How many years have I been waiting for a sequel...witch never seem to come
                                GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                                even mean anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X