warlords - starship victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warlords - starship victory

Does anybody have any thoughts on the best way to work towards building a starship? Even when I skew everything to my favor I'm not achieving the right technologies before the late 20th century and do not have enough time to build the starship.

Try to avoid researching extraneous technologies for one. If it doesn't allow you to build a spaceship component then you don't need it (aside from certain military ones). Another is to beeline for what you need to build the Internet. You can let the computer develop Satellites and such, then just get it that way while you research Fusion or some other upper end tech.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Re: warlords - starship victory

Originally posted by planecrazy
      Does anybody have any thoughts on the best way to work towards building a starship? Even when I skew everything to my favor I'm not achieving the right technologies before the late 20th century and do not have enough time to build the starship.
      Here are my thoughts. Whichever victory you are going for, you should start preparing for it early. So if you're going for a spaceship vistory, you should be starting to put things in place from somewhere around the discovery of Scientific Method.

The helpful resources are iron, copper, coal and aluminium. It's worth knowing about the last 2 as early as possible to help deal with the situation if you don't have them. You're going to need at least one really good production city and a number of others that can contribute hammers. Start developing them early. The Space Elevator is your friend, so find a site that can build it. If your site lacks hammers, start hoarding your GEs.

There's no need to bee line for Apollo. You can usually wait to get other things in place. Optimise your construction of spaceship parts. Let the lower production cities build the easier parts and save your big hammer sites for the major items. Ideally, you should finish the final set of parts on the same date (although I admit I have difficulty getting them to coincide exactly).

Once you've researched all the required technologies you can turn off research and re-allocate scientists to engineers or priests (or even citizens if necessary). Similarly, once you are building SS parts, make sure you are working the tiles that maximise your production. Check your civics to see if they can give you more hammers.

RJM
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

If you aren't researching fast enough the advice needs to be more basic than RJM's I think.

1) Use lots cottages, and use them early, especially around the capital
        2) Use bureaucracy asap, later free speech
        3) Use free religion asap
        4) Make sure you build all the research building in cities with high base commerce.

Comment

I usually research computers prior to researching rocketry, this way i can get labs built, giving me extra science and also faster spaceship parts later too.

Comment

Here's a report on a space race with 2.08 that shows a research beeline, as well as other tips:

Comment

Working...
            X