Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonders not working when conquered?

Hi everybody.

I'm an Civ veteran, but quite a newbie with civ 4. so i'll have some questions in coming.
    First: When I conquer a city with world wonders in it, they have no more cultural or whatsoever output anymore! Why is that?
    Second: After conquering a city and after the x turns of revolt, the city has no cultural value anymore. It starts with a one square influence area again. This is anoying when it is bordered by another strong foreign city that nearly encloses my hardly won city with its cultural influence and keeps it from recovering. Is that normal or are there any tricks to avoid this.
    Third: Is it okay to let the builders (I play the german version so I don't now the englisch term) do their work automatically?
    Fourth: How can I decrease the cultural influence of another city? Without conquering it?

Thanx

Steve

First: When I conquer a city with world wonders in it, they have no more cultural or whatsoever output anymore! Why is that?
    Normally all buildings producing culture are destroyed when a city is taken. Basically when conquering you destroy all symbols of the old regime, meaning it's culture. Wonders are not destroyed but loose their culture production aspect.
    Second: After conquering a city and after the x turns of revolt, the city has no cultural value anymore. It starts with a one square influence area again. This is annoying when it is bordered by another strong foreign city that nearly encloses my hardly won city with its cultural influence and keeps it from recovering. Is that normal or are there any tricks to avoid this.
    The culture stays but is a foreign culture so doesn't push your borders. If the old owner takes the city back however the borders will be pushed. If you take a city through culture flipping you will start with some initially pushed borders. Use a Creative leader if it bothers you.
    Third: Is it okay to let the builders (I play the german version so I don't now the englisch term) do their work automatically?
    In standard Civ4 : No
    With Blake's AI : Depends on if they meet your playing style.
    Fourth: How can I decrease the cultural influence of another city? Without conquering it?
    You can't. You can only produce more culture yourself.

Comment

thanx from me and my folks!!!

PS: what's blake's ai and where can it be found?

Comment

Comment

found it! but is it also working, with the basic version of civ 4 or only with warlords?

steve

Comment

There's a version for the regular Civ4 as well.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Hi there.

I installed blake's ai yesterday and started gaming and it became a long night again...but not due to the many turns I played, but because of the minutes my computer needed for calculating after every turn. It remembered me of my old days in front of my 386er. Is that normal? I've an AMD 3000+ and 1024 MB and with the normal version it took only seconds between the turns, but now...

Please help

steve

Comment

According to blake, the time lag between turns (especially in the late game) is caused by one of his additional calculation routines for the AI and will be fixed in the next 'better AI' build.

If the processing time is bearable for your PC, I'd still recommend to use blake's mod for now. The AI is better in so many ways - my favourite feature is that it is able to acchieve a cultural victory.
                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I just grabbed Blake's AI mod, are there any other "key" mods out there that tweak the game in ways that don't change it dramatically but just fix some things?
                  - Dregor

Comment

Blake's the main one, for sure. There are loads of other mods, but they generally change the game's rules. Some change them slightly, others dramatically. Not that this is a bad thing, but you should probably play with the default rules until you, at least, get tired of those and figure out what you want to see changed. Then it might be a good time to check the mod list.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: Wonders not working when conquered?

Originally posted by SteveMcPeace
                      Second: After conquering a city and after the x turns of revolt, the city has no cultural value anymore. It starts with a one square influence area again. This is anoying when it is bordered by another strong foreign city that nearly encloses my hardly won city with its cultural influence and keeps it from recovering. Is that normal or are there any tricks to avoid this.
                      One thing you can do when you are at war (or if you are planning on going to war) is to save your great artists for 'culture bombs' in newly captured cities. This can really help to push back enemy borders quickly.
                      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Re: Wonders not working when conquered?

Originally posted by SteveMcPeace

They're called Workers and it's OK to automate them to a certain extent. Just be sure you do most of the work yourself. The one setting that works fairly well is the Build Trade Network. If they're automated with that one, they'll just go around hooking up your resources and building roads in your empire. You can't go wrong with that as long as you don't overdo it.

Also, later on in the game it's OK to automate. You usually have most of the improving done by then so having them automated won't be much of a problem. Usually by the time I get Railroads, I start letting them do their own thing as it gets hard then trying to figure out what to have them do.

Comment

Working...
                        X