who do you hate being close to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who do you hate being close to?

There are some civs I hate being close to because they're aggressive and as a builder, they often ruin my utopian empire....then there are some that are just plain laughable in their attacks it seems.

This weekend as the ottomans I shared a continent with Napoleon, Isabella, Peter and that cute egyptian chick. I think someone else was there, but they were so ineffectual I forgot about them. Napoleon decided to attack me and my closest city to his border wasn't defended well, only an axeman and an archer in it. But he sent a trickle of units at a time, which made it easy for me to get some horse archers to the front and pick them off a few at a time. Heck, after I eliminated his feeble attack force I used my ammassed troops to tak 2 of his cities! This guy was a great conqueror? If he had actually sent a decent stack of troops he probably would have took my city, or at least beaten my forces down enough so I couldn't counterattack. Dummy.

Isabella though has the psycho thing going for her. I think even the other AI civs are afraid of her. Her empire was huge and I only held off her anger by converting to hinduism when she demanded it. But I knew she'd go bat**** crazy sooner or later. I think the only thing that helped me when she did was that she decided to attack me in the modern era. By that time I had a large army and concentrated on defense instead of attacking. So yeah, Izzy is kind of scary. I don't think theres any way to keep her happy in an entire game.

In my current game though I know an attack is coming. I've just reached the modern age as the english and I have a large empire, a tech lead and a huge army. The arabs to the north of me keep asking to be my vassal but thats a no go. They're everyone's whipping boy right now and I don't need the aggravation. Shaka is to my west but he's been pleased with me the whole game and I really haven't heard a peep from him. He wiped out the indians, but they weren't much of a threat. I took four of their cities in an earlier war (which I started, admittedly....I needed their resources.) which only left them with two. Peter is close in tech to me, but his empire isn't very big. He's annoyed, but I don't worry too much about him. He's got a decent force, but unless he surprises me I don't think he can match me in numbers. That leaves the ones I'm concerned with. all to my south....Hannibal, Alexander and Brennus. Brennus and I are "friendly" and pretty even in tech. I just wonder if he'll turn on me. Hannibal has attacked me in the past, but he has to go through Alex's territory to reach me. (I founded Christianity and spread it around, so with line of sight to certain rival civ's cities, I could see his stack coming). I think hannibal may try again as the endgame looms. I've beefed up the units in my border cities with Alex to guard against Hannibal and the greeks. I think that Hannibal (if he was smart) might get alex to team up against me.

I wish I knew how the AI thought a little better. I know I could take any ONE of them on. I know that if I were going to fight any of them I'd bribe everyone else into the war so they couldn't call on any allies. (civs on the other continent don't concern me...they're all WAY behind in tech and I don't see any of them providing a decent invasion force). But I know someone will declare war.....I'm too close to a spaceship victory for the AI to let me pull it off this easily.

I should be happy that Monty wasn't around.
    "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Izzy and Monty.

Comment

everyone. nuke em' all.

Comment

They hate being close to me...
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

yep, true.
          I always complain when someone attacks me when we're at +15, but when it's time for them to go, it's time for them to go dispite how much they think I like them
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Alex. Sometimes Napoleon.

Izzy is allright as long as you don´t switch religion witch I usually don´t do very early and Monty is moronic enough so that his early attacks mostly is easily repelled.
            GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
            even mean anything?

Comment

Toku. He doesn't do anything but sit there. Doesn't found religions or wonders for me to take, either
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                They hate being close to me...

can I sit next to you ?

My picks:
                Cleo
                Monty
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Generally speaking, protective civs, because they're harder to conquer for some more breathing room.

For my #1 pick, it's gotta be Tokugawa. He's a real PITA to try and befriend and he's AGG/PRO, making conquest a particularly bloody option.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                    My picks:
                    Cleo
                    Monty
                    It's hard to start next to Cleo in Civ4, though.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Washington

That protectionist SOB will never do anything for you no matter how much he likes you. A useless ally.

My current game, he attacked me for no good reason and drove my score into the toilet, then became my best buddy when he converted to my religion. Biding my time to pay him back.
                      That horse is fake!

Comment

Alexander...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex

can I sit next to you ?

My picks:
                          Cleo
                          Monty
                          Bring your own club, though. They are allways trying to make me not be their neighbour...
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I know this is going to sound odd, and I agree with all the Isabellas, Montezumas, and Alexanders mentioned, but the one I HATE finding myself next to more than ANYONE is Louis XIV.

I will annihilate that holier-than-thou Sun King bastard first opportunity I get. Why? Because no one--not Alexander, not Julius Caesar, not even Catherine--is as vindictive and backstab-happy as that curly-haired French snot.

I hate him. I hate him. I hate him.
                            "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                            "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                            "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Caesar will attack me with his praetorians from the other end of the continent for some reason and then keep attacking me and destroying my workboats (ugh).

But I fear most, Chuck Norris.

When he sends just one of his UU Roundhousers, I'm done. In one roundhouse, he takes three of my cities. It's unfair. Even when I get him to join me in a war with someone else, once his Roundhouser razes one of the enemy's cities, 4 of mine are razed just from the massive jet stream created from the force of his kick =0
                              May it come that all the Radiances will be known as ones own radiances

Comment

Working...
                              X