Monty!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monty!!!

Why does he keep attacking me over and over?

How is it even fun when he attacks me every 15 turns? Sometimes this game just isn't fun.

And I had a defensive pact with the 3rd most powerful civ (Saladin) and he still attacked me! Not to mention he was only in an annoyed status. I had one of his cities, I think he was intent on getting it back. But I had it for over a thousand years. I say it's mine.

And it never fails, whenever the ai's cultural borders go up to one of your cities, they will attack it.

And if you happen to have a worker on the border, they will attack. It never fails.

Monty is lazy and does not even bother to shake his thoughts with power graph and little things like DP's .. he is just coded as a psycho. It is annoying and best strat is to make him as your lapdog (Bush<>Blair relations) to fight your wars or just kill him off (Bush<>Saddam relations).

Comment

Quite often now, if Monty is one of my early neighbours, I don't even bother playing the game. It's just going to mean an early build up of my miltarty waiting for that inevitable attack, and continued harrassment until I finally take him out.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky - I almost never draw Monty as a neighbor. That's good, because he is psychotic.

Build up and whoop him first. It might make you feel better.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Eh, neighbour is one thing, but if he is on the bloody opposite side of the globe, and *still* is a pain in the ass... Mix Stalin and Toku into it, for really fun times.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Montezuma isn't the worst neighbour to have, really. You just go to war with him and take over his lands, so that he won't be able to be a threat again. I'd rather have him than Tokugawa - who certainly won't trade, and also has a trait combination that makes him a pain to conquer.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I think Izzy is most annoying.

Comment

lol @ JulianD

First time ever was last month, I had Monty as a neighbor, Id only heard horror stories up till then, now I have them of my own. I was barely out of the Ancient Age before he attacked, unfortunately I was going for a cultural win, concentrating on religous techs and peaceful buildings, huge mistake. After riding it out for a few turns (and watched him take one of my cities) I just ended up starting a new game.

Initially I was thinking I could have good relations with him (and I did, at least +6) to keep him at bay, that didnt stop him in the slightest...

Comment

Izzy (aka "Crusader Girl") is annoying, but to me less so than Monty. Hey, at least she tends to create holy cities (sometimes double holy cities!) for me

Actually, Monty often founds an early religion himself now that I think about it. Eh, they're both annoying and have their uses.

Tokugawa might be the most frustrating because he's such an obstinate isolationist xenophobe. That and all the free promos his units get...

Initially I was thinking I could have good relations with him (and I did, at least +6) to keep him at bay, that didnt stop him in the slightest...
                  Quite true. To Monty, such things simply don't matter. It's rather predictable, though, so you won't fall for it again.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I just didn't have enough resources to build up a military to take him out. And he had a slight tech lead on me (damn this new warlords patch). He must have got rifling 10 turns ahead of me and mass upgraded. I knew I was up **** creek when my musketmen were facing riflemen and cavalry.

I actually started next to Monty and Ghenghis. I took Ghenghis out to 2 cities. He was easier to conquer because he had less units. But by this time my empire was too stretched out, and I never could get my research rate above 60%. Which makes me think Ghandi sucks. I'm never playing the Indians again.

Saladin was my other neighbor. He's the one I had a defensive pact with. Saladin, my only friend. . Actually the germans were my friend, but the Aztecs wanted me to break deals with them. It didn't seem worth it to break deals with my friend on the slim hopes I could appease the aztecs.

Comment

Ah, yes, the mass rifle upgrade. The AI really likes that one. It's kinda like the mass archer -> longbow upgrade, but it sees archers as defense only and thus won't come for your head after such an upgrade. Rifles, on the other hand... You didn't have Grenadiers, I take it.

Gandhi doesn't suck, but his traits aren't the best for lots of expansion. I personally do not play him well, because I don't play Philosophical civs well, period. Asoka is a better choice for a large empire, because of the ORG trait he gets.

I got hit with a "the AI got rifling!" attack last night. Napolean hit me with rifles, cavs and a smattering of other units. It was actually a good time for him to roll the dice, because I've got a massive lead in all phases of the game except the power graph, where (upon the DoW) we were about even. Luckily for me, though I need a few turns at 100% tax to upgrade all my units, I have Infantry. He's dead. He just hasn't hit the ground yet.

That game is the most powerful game I think I've ever played where I made absolutely no use of a powerful early game UU (war chariot). I was unable to claim horses during the REX phase, but it didn't matter because my starting terrain was so strong. My first four cities (the only four I had until I started breaking things) had:

Capital: River, 4-5 floodplains, pigs-on-grass, oasis, gold-on-plains hill, furs-on-plains, marble-on-plains, and a smattering of grassland and plains forest. Upon the lvl3 border expansion, I also got stone. I was Rameses, remember.

2nd city: Non-river, corn, gold-on-plains hill, 1 floodplain, several forested hills, silk-in-plains forest, some desert.

3rd city: River, copper, silk-on-plains forest, smattering of forested hills, grassland forest, grassland and plains.

4th city: River, wheat, ivory, one floodplain, some grassland forest, some plains forest, a hill or two.

No horses, no problem. I hit the AI with a large stack of catapults (protected by a couple of axes and a WE) when it was just finishing up its basic expansion stage. Cyrus never knew what hit him. Brennus went down later, but just as easily (to Maces/Knights/Trebs).

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        Montezuma isn't the worst neighbour to have, really. You just go to war with him and take over his lands, so that he won't be able to be a threat again. I'd rather have him than Tokugawa - who certainly won't trade, and also has a trait combination that makes him a pain to conquer.
                        I agree. Once Toku declared war on me while I was destroying a neighbor on my other side of Empire. I then split my army in half and fight a defensive with Toku until I could win my other war or until I could build up my force. Well I didn't know what most of his troops were counter troops that wound destroy my mostly offensive army. I then had to plea for peace on my other border. It was incredibly annoying.
                        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Monty

Gives my praets some target practices and free XP
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Shr3dZ

Thats also one thing Monty does not bother with - friends, who needs them when you can ATTACK somebody .

Comment

Originally posted by Shr3dZ
                              Hurm. Apparently, he was using this time to sharpen the knife before stabbing you in the back.

I've got a game where he's a neighbor. Guess I better get the military going.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X