Seafood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafood

I am wondering whether it is better going for the first workboat on a fish off the immediate coast (one coin) or a clam/crab on the immediate coast (two coin). Border expansion on Marathon will get the fish in the borders before the first wb gets out. Should the 1 food extra outweigh the extra coin on a non-early religion strat?

I am also wondering the benefit of the whale. Is there any instance when one would actually found a city to get the whale resource when there is another seafood option for the city? I have a situation where a city can get iron and fish or iron and whale in the fat cross. I am leading towards the fish as the whale will be in border at some stage. I see no great benefit in having whale at all.

Clam +1 food +1 health with tile worked
    Fish +1 food +1 health with tile worked
    Whale - +1 food +1 happy with tile worked

Whale are usually farther out, one can usuall get a smaller food boost without working the tile-
    Do you want to MM your city ?

Go for fish and Iron - +1 hammer is always a good thing
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

To answer the simpler question first, I would always go for the extra food from fish rather than going for coastal clams/crabs and the higher gold. This would be true even if I were financial and the coastal tile gave +2 commerce.

The simple reason for this is that I value 1 food at least as much as 2 commerce.

More Food => Faster Growth => More tiles work => Extra commerce/production

I can also whip the larger population for more hammers.

On the whale question there are several things to consider.

The first is that whale’s come into play quite late so it may be a long time before the tile is developed. If this is the case, take the seafood.

The second is that is still gives happiness (+2 with market) so is a useful resource but you may be able to get this is a larger cultural boundary so do not necessarily need it to be in the fat cross.

Finally, you may be able to have two cities close to each other, one using the fish and one the whale.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
        Clam +1 food +1 health with tile worked
        Fish +1 food +1 health with tile worked
        Whale - +1 food +1 happy with tile worked
        What about giving correct numbers:

Clam / Clam: +1 food without fishing boats. Improving gives +2 additional food (so +3 total) and +1 health.
        Fish: +1 food without fishing boats. Improving gives +3 additional food (so +4 total) and +1 health.
        Whale: +1 food without whaling boats. Improving gives +1 hammer and +2 commerce, and +1 happiness.

Like for all resources, the tile does not have to be worked for the happiness / health bonusses. The bonus is given to all cities that are connected (via roads etc), but only once per resourcetype.

So improved and with a lighthouse your resources will yield the following (on coast, -1 commerce for ocean).

Clam: 5/0/2
        Crab: 5/0/2
        Fish: 6/0/2
        Whale: 3/1/4

Whale is worth it, but less good than the other three. However the happiness bonus is nice, so try to get it, even if it's 2 border expansions away.

Comment

I am wondering whether it is better going for the first workboat on a fish off the immediate coast (one coin) or a clam/crab on the immediate coast (two coin). Border expansion on Marathon will get the fish in the borders before the first wb gets out. Should the 1 food extra outweigh the extra coin on a non-early religion strat?
          Personally I'd say "yes" the extra food is better than the extra coin. You may want to reconsider if you're financial (2 commerce = 3 commerce if you're financial), but even then I'd probably still use the fish first, clam second.

As for the second question, go fish/iron. The difference in food output aside, you cannot use whale until Optics, which is mid-way through the tech tree. Fish is available right at the beginning, and as noted above produces lots of food (5, 6 with lighthouse). That will balance nicely with the iron mine (high hammer, low food).

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem

What about giving correct numbers:
            blame civpedia

got my numbers from there....

Comment

So did I, however I used the version I wrote myself

civilization4.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, civilization4.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

All the numbers are correctly, the places where the resources spawn aren't, yet. I still have to find someone who can make sense of that part of the XML files

Comment

nice work

+1 happiness here

Comment

Working...
                X