Default Saved Games Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Saved Games Folder

Is there any way to get Civ4/Warlords to use a saved games folder other than "My Documents\My Saved Games?" I find this particular folder path highly annoying, for some reason, especially now that I'm running Vista which alters the traditional user directory structure.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Anyone? It's really rather annoying to have this ugly folder mucking up my glorious organisation structure
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

vista is out?

Comment

Yup (for businesses), and the pre-release versions have been out for a while.

Comment

Other then that directory is Civ4 running fine on Vista? I'm about to take the plunge
          What is best in life?

Crush the enemy, see them driven before you; and hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Re: Default Saved Games Folder

Originally posted by LordShiva
            Is there any way to get Civ4/Warlords to use a saved games folder other than "My Documents\My Saved Games?" I find this particular folder path highly annoying, for some reason, especially now that I'm running Vista which alters the traditional user directory structure.
            See here for some suggestions on how to change the save path.
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Dracolisk
              Other then that directory is Civ4 running fine on Vista? I'm about to take the plunge
              Yup. I had some flickering when using nVidia's drivers off their website, but I've since updated to more recent drivers from www.guru3d.com and everything is now fine.

Comment

Re: Re: Default Saved Games Folder

Originally posted by Petek
                Here's how to change the location of your save files (and everything else in the Civ 4 portion of the My Documents folder):

Find the Civ4 shortcut (for example, on your desktop). Right-Click on it, and choose "properties". On the form that appears, click on the 'shortcut' tab, and find the box that says 'Target'.

Click in the box, and add the following to the end of it:

/ALTROOT=pathtosaves

For example, to get it to put the saves in the C:\Games\Civ4_Saves directory, change it to:

/ALTROOT=C:\games\Civ4_saves

Note: If you want the saves stored in the base Civ4 directory, change it to:
                /ALTROOT=.

If you want to set it to a path that contains spaces, you need to enclose the path using quotation marks:
                /ALTROOT="C:\Data\Civ 4 Saves"

(Courtesy of the Civ Fanatics Civ4 Unofficial Tech Support FAQ at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135019)
                Thanks, petek! Exactly what I was looking for.

I say "was" because I went and installed Company of Heroes, and it uses the My Games folder too . So, now I need to figure out how to change its default save folder .

Comment

Thanks, Petek.

Although it puts Saves\(subfolders) in whatever folder you use in the path, so since I first tried /ALTROOT="...Warlords\Saves", I ended up with ...Warlords\Saves\Saves. I took the "Saves" out of the ALTROOT path and got what I wanted.

Lost my profile settings, had to redo that. No biggie, though.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                  X