No announcement yet.

discovering specials in hills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which specials can reduce the hammer count of a mined hill?

Comment

Gold or silver particularly, Geronimo. Fewer hammers, more commerce.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Wow, really? It's not THAT uncommon. If one plays a lot of OCC games, or short MP games (they do tend to be shorter than SP games, no?), I suppose one is less likely to see it.
        If it has happened I somehow missed it every time.

I'd forgotten the feature existed until I saw this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          Gold or silver particularly, Geronimo. Fewer hammers, more commerce.
          well, that seems retarded. In civ 3 didn't specials only add to production but never take any away?

I can't understand the civ4 approach on this from either a gameplay or realism perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
            The mine has to be currently worked to discover a new deposit, and it will never happen if there is a special on the hill that just hasn't been revealed yet. But I also play marathon and usually get 2-3 new discoveries per game. It's a reduced list, only things that can be accessed via a mine can be discovered: iron, copper, coal, gems, gold, silver, uranium and aluminum.
            Yes. In addition, new deposits are only possible for those resources for which you have the tech (in other words, when bronzeworking reveals copper at your capital, that's always copper that was originally on the map, not "discovered" copper that you couldn't see yet). Thus the probability of discovering a new resource goes up as you become more technically advanced.

Each resource is checked individually, in the same order every time (defined in the appropriate XML file - I believe it is also alphabetical); so Gold is very slightly more likely to come than Silver.

Comment

Can I go off topic for just a minute here? If there is a sea resource inside of your territory but outside of any city limit, can you work that resource and get the health benefit from it, just like you might gain the benefit of any land resource outside a city limit but inside your territory as long as it is connected by a road?

Comment

Originally posted by Brundlefly
                Can I go off topic for just a minute here? If there is a sea resource inside of your territory but outside of any city limit, can you work that resource and get the health benefit from it, just like you might gain the benefit of any land resource outside a city limit but inside your territory as long as it is connected by a road?
                Yes, you get the health benefits and can trade the resource just like anything you find on land.
                You don't have to be a Pastafarian to love pasta. Pirates rule!

Comment

Originally posted by SFADAMS44

Yes, you get the health benefits and can trade the resource just like anything you find on land.
                  Are you sure? Because I have found that I dont get the health benefit unless the sea square is in the city radius..

Comment

you still need to put a workboat on it as well.

Comment

The chance is 1/10000 per resource per mine per turn. So a total of 8/10000 per turn per mine if you have all the required techs.

That may not seem like a lot. But the game has 460 turns and you can easily have 20-30 mines in your empire even when it's not so big yet.

So you'd expect this to happen 1-3 times each game, which is more or less correct.

It's very rare though, early game, and more common late game. Early game you can't see (and thus get) all the resources yet, and you'll have less mines.

Comment

I'm not sure i this chance is modified by game speed, by the way. I'd hope it is, but it's not in he XML, at least not explicitly. It could be using the same modifier-constant as some other speed-dependent quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                          I'm not sure i this chance is modified by game speed, by the way.
                          It isn't, so 3 times as much discoveries in Marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Brundlefly

Are you sure? Because I have found that I dont get the health benefit unless the sea square is in the city radius..
                            Yep, I'm positive!
                            You don't have to be a Pastafarian to love pasta. Pirates rule!

Comment

If you're super lucky you can get it early, I mean BC. I once found gems in a city that I had built especially because of two gold resources that could boost my early research.
                              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Does it also depend on terrain type??

For instance, Gold is only map generated on Plains & Desert Tiles, Where as Silver is found in Tundra/Snow

So, if your Working a Grassland/Hill, they can still get those types of possible bonuses??

E_T
                                Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                                Worship the Comic here!
                                Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Working...
                                X