Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Quotes from Civ 4

Hello,

I just did a search on the web but couldn't find what I was looking for..

Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the quotes that in Civ 4?

I'm trying to find a specific quote but don't have time to play the game right now!

Thanks!

What quote are you trying to find ? Remember it at least partially?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

A search for "Civ 4 quotes" on google brought this up as the first item. It's got all the tech quotes:

Comment

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
        - Benjamin Franklin

Thank you! I searched for Civ 4 Quotes, but must have scanned passed the page you found! Thank you for posting it for me.

Comment

I particularly like this one:

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."
          - Unknown

Comment

No problem awckie. One of my favourites:

"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."
            - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix

"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."
              - Percy Bysshe Shelley
              About this one, a little mistake (probably):

Leonard Nimoy didn't pronounce the last three words of the quote, "...Nothing besides remains". He just says "And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' "

The goal of the inclusion of this quote is just to prove (IMHO) how nothing is permanent, and how flattering is senseless, even with the apparently permanent “construction” tech. This is what Shelley wanted, I think… Without those three words, the quote doesn’t prove nothing… . The statue of Ozymandias doesn’t have a face, a body. Just those “two vast and trunkless legs of stone…” There aren’t works done by Ozymandias, there’s no sign of his pride, or of his presence, other than the legs, just sand, “nothing besides remains”.

Shelley’s poem Ozymandias was inspired by the fallen statues at the Ramesses II, his mortuary temple at Thebes, and takes its title from the Greek version of one of the ruler’s alternate names, User-maat-re.

The poem:

OZYMANDIAS of EGYPT

I met a traveller from an antique land
              Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
              Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
              Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
              And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
              Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
              Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
              The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
              And on the pedestal these words appear:
              "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
              Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
              Nothing beside remains: round the decay
              Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
              The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Edited to historic correction...
              Last edited by Aro; December 10, 2006, 08:22.
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro

The goal of the inclusion of this quote is just to prove (IMHO) how nothing is permanent, and how flattering is senseless, even with the apparently permanent “construction” tech. This is what Shelley wanted, I think… Without those three words, the quote doesn’t prove nothing… .
                I agree! I wonder if whoever put it in missed the point entirely.

Comment

Indeed! One of the reasons I like that quote is that it caused me to go out and discover the poem which I enjoy. I also think that Nimoy puts more feeling into that one than a most of the others.

Comment

"Beep...beep...beep"
                    The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

These are my favorites:

"I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."
                      - The Bible, Exodus

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
                      - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance."
                      - Ali ibn Abi-Talib

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."
                      - Winston Churchill

"You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bon-fire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense."
                      - Napoleon, on Robert Fulton's Steamship

"People can have the Model T in any color - so long as it's black."
                      - Henry Ford

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wage possible."
                      - Henry Ford

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
                      - Oscar Wilde

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
                      - Steve Wozniak
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

I rather liked Napoleon's "Talk to the massed artillery, Leader of civ X"
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It is not, incidentally, documented that Ford ever said the Model T quote, and indeed the original Model Ts were not black.
                          Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

I think that it is impressive that something that adds nothing to gameplay has been included in the game. It makes the game a better all round package.

All the quotes are poignant, but my favourite is currently:

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law."

There is a little message to society in that one...

Note that the listing for Corporation in the Squidoo website (link in one of the first posts) is incorrect. I recall it as "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual wealth, without individual responsibility" (from memory).

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix

- Percy Bysshe Shelley
                              Yup, mine too. Hence my location field
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X