Stolen Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Wonders

Playing first game with Warlords. Single-player endgame; spent gold (about 4000!) to rush production on a wonder, and got sandbagged by another civ that somehow finished in that one last turn before completion.

Then, about five turns later, the exact same thing happens again! Is this an incredible coincidence, or AI cheating?
    That horse is fake!

Neither, it's just you being too slow

Out of curiosity, how much gold did you get back on the first one?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

One thing to watch out for is if the AI has a GE, if 1 has been born recently and the AI learns the tech then it will often use it to build the wonder, if you know or suspect a GE is present in another civ, only buy wonder if they do not have the tech already.

Comment

If he bought the wonder, shouldn't it have been completed the next turn (in which case ties go to the human)?

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          Neither, it's just you being too slow

Out of curiosity, how much gold did you get back on the first one?
          A pittance compared to my investment! Maybe about 5%.
          That horse is fake!

Comment

Also confused on this.. If you spent money to rush the wonder, it should have immediately become yours at the start of the next turn.

Did you purchase the wonder and then the AI completed it that same turn?

If so, that's really odd. Especially for it to happen twice in a row. Did you know other Civs were building this wonder and you tried to rush them to beat them?

The only way I can think of something that odd happening twice in a row is if you were trying to time the completion to beat the AI and you miscalculated... twice.

Comment

I had thought that rush-buying something guaranteed it, also. No idea why it wouldn't. The AI certainly doesn't cheat in this regard (it is unaware of what you are building unless it has a spy in your city, and honestly i'm not sure if it even takes advantage of that knowledge then?).
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I didn't think this could happen either. It's as if the AI got in "between" turns to shark the wonder. I had no idea what anybody else was working on, this was pre-spy. Since then, I've managed to build a number of wonders, including rushing some, with no trouble.

It's just the damnedest thing.
                That horse is fake!

Comment

I remember reading on some succession game thread where Sirian stated that human always wins in case of tie for wonder. So, its just bad luck. Thats why i usually always *whip* (or rushbuy) as soon as its possible if i really want that particular wonder. Losing 10 turns? Nada .. Losing 1 turn ? AAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Comment

Humans do always win in case of a tie. This is true both for wonders and for religions. It's one of the advantages we have over the AI. Ha! :P

So if you rushbuy a wonder you are guaranteed to get it. There is no other scenario.

Unless the wonder was already built somewhere else, and you still had it in the queue somehow. That can happen, it usually takes a turn for teh game to catch up and say "Hey, you can't build that anymore!". But during that time you shouldn't be able to rush it, you'd think.

Check your records and see if the wonder was built the turn you rushbought, or the one after.

Comment

The message indicating another civ had beaten me to the wonder appeared after I'd rushed it, hence my vexation. I'd thought I was free and clear, and then "yoink!"
                      That horse is fake!

Comment

That shouldn't happen.

Comment

The same thing just happened to me. First with the great wall then with pyramids. Plus this only a two person deul.
                          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                            Humans do always win in case of a tie. This is true both for wonders and for religions. It's one of the advantages we have over the AI. Ha! :P
                            But what happens if it's an MP game, and two humans rush buy a wonder on the same turn?

BTW, who is this Diadem fellow, anyway?
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

But what happens if it's an MP game, and two humans rush buy a wonder on the same turn?
                              It's random. Same with religion founding which happens a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                              X