Enemy Troops vs Friendly Neighbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
    It's like, if Poland would go to war with France, and Germans would be all, "We can't prevent them from using our autobahns and tracks, they are our friends!"
    LOL, what a ridiculous example... like the Germans would ever pass up an example to invade both Poland and France

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
      No idea...

It's bloody annoying, when I'm friendly with someone, and then someone else declares war at me, and has to go through his lands, and I try to get my "friend" to bar them from his lands, only to see the "we couldn't betray out closest friends!"... What about me? Am I not you friend? Maybe, if there were a partial "Stop Trading", like "Revoke right of passage for 10 turns with civX, or untill war ends"...

It's like, if Poland would go to war with France, and Germans would be all, "We can't prevent them from using our autobahns and tracks, they are our friends!"
      Like your avatar.

With Warlords I've noticed that civs at war will ask to be your vassal thus pulling you into their conflict. The thing is, the civ asking you is usually getting its butt kicked. (which is why I usually say "no". After all if civ X is whooping your behind why do I want a piece of that? Obviously you'd be no help in the battle as you just got your head handed to you.)

Maybe its bad luck on my part, but when I try to get Civ Y from letting Civ X cross through their territory to attack me, the option to ask them to go to war with Civ X is redded out. I haven't bothered to mouse over it to see the reasons, but I'm sure most of the time its "we don't like you enough". I think there should be the option someone mentioned earlier of "Revoke RoP to Civ X" but it would have to balanced in such a way as to not stop all the AI's wars. (think about it, if you could ask the AI to revoke Civ X's RoP all of the time, most wars wouldn't happen because essentially Civ X would have to go to war with the RoP'er too.)

Maybe a 2nd option of "Revoke RoP to Civ X or we will destroy you" option. If you use it though you take a big diplo hit.
      "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Comment

I think that should be added to all diplo contacts.
        Do or "we are at war". Granted you can always declare war after they refuse now, but I think it should be considered while they're answering. Besides I think it would be good for the AI. When the Khan boys demand money, I alwasy refuse figuring if he want's a fight, appeasing him will change nothing, but if it was do or expect immediate war, I might part with some of the hard earned cash if I wasn't quite ready.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

As far as I'm aware of there's nothing to keep the human from pulling this trick over the AI as well. (Wait til the AI is willing to sign peace and then on the same turn first ask an AI stooge to declare war and then in the same turn declare peace with the AI your fighting.)
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
            As far as I'm aware of there's nothing to keep the human from pulling this trick over the AI as well. (Wait til the AI is willing to sign peace and then on the same turn first ask an AI stooge to declare war and then in the same turn declare peace with the AI your fighting.)
            The only problem I see is that you get the -1 for "You brought in a war ally against us!" or whatever it says. Could that possibly cause the AI to refuse to talk? In which case you would be stuck at war with them for a while longer.

Comment

Refuse to Talk is pretty much a set countdown turn timer from when one player declares war on another.

That one point penalty is actually very minor; the penalty for we are currently at war is much greater.
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

What gets me is that THEY'LL start the war and then have -5 "This war spoils our relationship!"
                That horse is fake!

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessHorde
                  What gets me is that THEY'LL start the war and then have -5 "This war spoils our relationship!"
                  that's ironic but probably realistic. historically when nations went to war resentment rises on both sides regardless of who initiates.

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessHorde
                    You brought in a war ally against us! (after we brutally declared war on you)

Comment

If your the one declaring, you get both the major -5 war spoils our relationship and the minor you declared war on us.
                      The more significant is that in the later case you'll also get a -1 you declared war on our friend from several civs, and that may be enough for them to place you low on their who they'll sell tech too list. (Not to mention the possibility of closing the border, canceling all deals, and refusing to trade anyway.)
                      Templar Science Minister

Comment

If you want to provoke an AI into declaring war on you are there some very efficient means of doing this?

Comment

Disbanding all your forces then constantly making tribute demands, breaking off trade and closing borders should do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                            If you want to provoke an AI into declaring war on you are there some very efficient means of doing this?
                            Switch to a different religion. This is the biggest minus you get. Realistic, for sure, and depressing to be reminded of the real world's stupidities every time I play this game.
                            That horse is fake!

Comment

Yeah, and trade with their worst enemy.

Comment

The "you refused to stop trading with our worst enemy" is only a -1.

On the different religion, to get it into the stronger negatives pick a religion they don't have in any city as well (or as few as you can get if they have a lot)
                                Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                                X