Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Spying ?

Hi all,

I just have a question about spy in Civ4 (sorry if this has been discussed somewhere b4): how to prevent or minimize spy sabotage.

In my game (Warlords), i have only one oil well and it is sabotaged very regularly. I have 3 spies staying around the tile, but they could not do anything: did not tell me if a spy is coming, or nationality of spy after the "incident".

I guess it's a nice trick of AI. It does hurt! My millitary production is constantly disrupted (moterized, air, sea units).

So far, the only counter measure I have is stationing a group of 7 workers on the tile. Still 1 turn disruption.

Is there any I can do? The most annoying part is I don't know who sends the spy (I don't want to kill the wrong guy ).

Any suggestions? Thanks

To counter spies, do what the AI does: put a combat unit (not a spy) on your resources to protect them. To protect your cities from production disruption, put multiple (more the better) combat units in the individual city. These efforts will increase the odds of the spy being caught (or of the spy just not attempting it). There are no "for certain" ways to obstruct a spy. Note that the same rules apply to YOUR spies in enemy lands.

Having your own spies or workers on a tile (or in a city) has no affect on counter-espionage. You cannot "spot" enemy spies with your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
      To counter spies, do what the AI does: put a combat unit (not a spy) on your resources to protect them.
      Are you sure? I think my oil well was sabotaged even when I had a tank + a spy on the tile. I'll check it out.

About the workers, I used them to rebuild the well not to stop sabotage. Anyway, sometimes it's nice to find out who's responsible.... hmmm

I just need a ligimate excuse to attack someone.

Comment

As I said, having a combat unit on the resource does not prevent the resource from being sabotaged, just makes it less likely to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trilar
          Anyway, sometimes it's nice to find out who's responsible.... hmmm

I just need a ligimate excuse to attack someone.
          You will be told if the enemy spy is caught but it doesn't give you an excuse for war. If you want a war then start one, or better still get someone else to start it for you.
          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
            As I said, having a combat unit on the resource does not prevent the resource from being sabotaged, just makes it less likely to succeed.
            Jaybe is right, but if you want to see it, try this:

Use one of your spies to go on enemy improvements (even they aren't on resources), then sitting your spy there put your cursor over the sabotage button, then you can see the chances to succes. If no military presence 40%-90% and the chances will drop down each unit the enemy has at the tile. Of course, like Jaybe said, there are chances to sabotage any defended tile, low (maybe 1%-50%) but they are.

Comment

Working...
            X