I'm too weak... :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm too weak... :(

In my just-ended game, Saladin, my peaceful Vassal, Friendly with me, terminated our Vassal-agreement, and I quote, "because I've grown too weak to protect them".

This is the powergraph, after Monty declared on me, after few millenia of peace, just as I got Robotics... My Mech Inf. against his troops, ranging from infantry to spearmen... Poor bugger.

So I'm wondering... Why would Saladin lie to me? I thought we were buddies... I'm surely strong enough to protect him...

A thought, Monty took two cities from him, cities I didn't return later. Could this actually convince him, that indeed, I'm too weak, or actually too busy or just indifferent enough to protect him?

Edit: Just checked a save of mine, Saladin says I've grown too powerfull for him to be my vassal. And... I don't get it. Isn't that a good thing for the well-being of his nation? Or does he fear, in the words of Ann Coulter, that I roll over in my sleep and crush his nation?
    Last edited by Tattila the Hun; November 27, 2006, 16:04.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

"Because you are too weak to protect us" is the (one & only) stock excuse for breaking a vassalage. Have you ever seen another excuse used? Perhaps they will offer to rejoin later, as soon as a turn or two.

Refusing to become a vassal because "you are too powerful" implies that becoming your vassal would (or would almost) win you the game. To allow such would be such an exploit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
      A thought, Monty took two cities from him, cities I didn't return later. Could this actually convince him, that indeed, I'm too weak, or actually too busy or just indifferent enough to protect him?
      If a vassal's empire drops below a certain point of his original land area or population after he joins you, 50% I think, then the agreement is broken. By taking his two cities, Montezuma probably put him below that threshold. Just mouse over the civ name next time you get a vassal and it will give you the info you need to know.

Comment

Good points. I was indeed very close to Domination.

Those two cities were small ones pressured by culture, should not tilt the scales that badly.

Fun game, was rather surprising to have Monty as almost a lifelong buddy.

Comment

Hah.. Teddy performed very well.
          Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

who won at the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Flamer(fin)
              Hah.. Teddy performed very well.
              That wasn't Teddy, silly. It was his nephew Frank
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I won, with the help of my american citizens. Washington ended up being one of my top Great People-cities.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

That wasn't Teddy, silly. It was his nephew Frank
                  ah... right you are you fast worker you
                  Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                    If you couldn't protect his cities, then why would he want to be a vassal of you? He became a vassal to be protected by you, but if you fail that there's nothing to gain from being your vassal
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

You did the best you could with the vassal

Comment

Working...
                      X