It's okay, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's okay, but...

I like this game! My only complaint is with the Wonders --- the results are a little bit too abstract, compared with the previous game!

examples?

Comment

Example: All of the Wonders are VERY abstract. For example, the original Great Library, once you build it, if someone researches a technology, and someone else already has it, you get that tech (as you may imagine, I went out of my way to get that Wonder). Another example: If you build the Pyramid, each of your cities gets a free granary.

Comment

The Wonders in Civ (CivI, II, III and now IV) have *always* been "abstract."

The Pyramids were not used by the ancient Egyptians to store grain. Nor did they allow the Egyptians to use modern republican democratic government (CivI).

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This thread is a little abstract compared to all the other threads.

Comment

Most of the wonders in the game had absolute no use whatsoever in the real world, except for cultural and religious reasons.

It wouldn't be much fun to build the pyramids and get, as a bonus "You can be buried here should you die". That's not ... useful

Stonehenge? "Your shamans can perform rituals here". Again, what's the use?

So the wonders have to be abstract. No escaping that. Only a few exceptions, like the Three Gorges Dam and the Oxford University. Those are logical wonders. But those are things that had a purpose irl

By the way, I think the great library is one of the least abstract. What's abstract about getting people in your city that do research - scientists. That's a pretty obvious function of a library.

Comment

I think that the wonder effects in Civ4 are actually better thought out than those from earlier civs and less game-breaking (espeically with the CS slingshot nerf in the last Warlords patch). The old Great Library is a good example of a wonder that was far too powerful.
              "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Stonehenge? "Your shamans can perform rituals here". Again, what's the use?
                More interest in rituals => more shamans => greater influence over the country => best represented by a free obelisque (or monument).

But the pyramids?
                Pyramdis => Stargate => Police state?
                It wouldn't be much fun to build the pyramids and get, as a bonus "You can be buried here should you die". That's not ... useful
                Why not like this :
                Influence even after death on the population => easier for your succesor to be respected, if you wanted him to lead the land => No anarchy when switching civics (perhaps only a limited number of free swirches to not make it overpowered).

Comment

Originally posted by Donald
                  Example: All of the Wonders are VERY abstract. For example, the original Great Library, once you build it, if someone researches a technology, and someone else already has it, you get that tech (as you may imagine, I went out of my way to get that Wonder). Another example: If you build the Pyramid, each of your cities gets a free granary.
                  Alot of things have changed in this version of Civ. You'll just have to approach it like it's a brand new game. You're going to leave yourself handicaped if you don't.

Comment

Whilst that's true it is rather beside the point.

Comment

Don't get me wrong --- this game kicks @ss! Now that I am used to the new "Wonder effects", I can actually survive into the modern age!

Comment

Working...
                      X