Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the setup for the longest Custom game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the setup for the longest Custom game?

Played with 18 Civs on Marathon speed.

Would islands or highlands in artic terrain slow things down to a crawl?

Highlands. Slower research, less food and choke points. It's also a map consisting predominantly of land so your computer will go slower too.
    LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Is that a now, that the computer slows down? Man, you should go back to Civ3.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I wasn't looking for any advantage over the computer. I just like long games. I remember playing Civ1 & playing one game for a week.

Comment

How is that possible? My Civ1 games lasts for some hours, not more than that!
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Civ1 is a lot faster than civ4 in my experience.

My civ4 games take a looong time. But perhaps that's just because I think a lot each turn, and micromanage a lot.

Comment

Turn off all victory conditions except Conquest as well.
              Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

What is everyone's avg time per game? I just got done with a game that had the final time of 17hrs 2mins. I won that game PA with Manua. Won with Land area/population.

Comment

I usually play normal speed games, and tend to finish after 3-4 hours.

Comment

Huge/Marathon games; my avg time used to be about 60 hours, but that has gone down to more like 30-40.

Comment

Huge/Marathon too; My last game took me 31 hours. The current one I've been playing for 34 hours now (current year is 1700).

But then again I never automate workers, never queue up buildings/units in cities or worker orders and seldom use stack-movement of units.
                      And I'm only playing for conquest victory, of course.

That's true Civ II style

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                        I usually play normal speed games, and tend to finish after 3-4 hours.
                        To me that is very quick. What map size do you play on, and at what difficulty level?
                        "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

My epic games on small maps last around 4 hours according to the timer at the end. I think that I probably play too quickly and don't think enough about what I'm doing. I know that when I play my housemate over our LAN the games seem really slow and I spend most of the time smoking and drinking while waiting for him to finish the turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hobbes
                            Huge/Marathon too; My last game took me 31 hours. The current one I've been playing for 34 hours now (current year is 1700).

But then again I never automate workers, never queue up buildings/units in cities or worker orders and seldom use stack-movement of units.
                            And I'm only playing for conquest victory, of course.

That's true Civ II style
                            The other things I understand the reasons for but "never use stack-movement of units"? Why on earth not? That's just slowing your self down for absolutely no good reason. Even if you move your stack one square at a time, or move one unit first to survey the ground... or within your borders when at peace or... I don't get it.

Marathon games take me about 7-8 hours, less on a smaller map.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Harrier UK

To me that is very quick. What map size do you play on, and at what difficulty level?
                              Normal map size, fractal or continents, and warlord or noble difficulity for the most part. And I usually automate my workers around when RRs comes into play.

Comment

Working...
                              X