Airport and unit airlift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport and unit airlift

I am a new player to CivIV v1.61 but an experienced player of CivIII. I'm having some trouble in understanding the limits of unit airlifting.

I built several airports on two continents but I am limited in airlifting only 1 land unit per turn regardless of the number of airports.

In CivIII one of my favorite tactics was to massivelly airlift my armies from on continent to another in addition to transporting them by ocean. It seems I cannot do the same in CivIV. Having airports is then only useful for the trade routes.

Am I missing something here ?

It's been a while since I've used an airport for airlifting...my games are nearly always over by then (or so far along that I don't need airports).

However, I believe you are allowed unlimited incoming airlifts. The issue is that each airport is limited to only one outgoing airlift per turn.

Comment

The problem is that I am limited to 1 airlift per turn per continent, period ! That's regardless of the number of airports.

Comment

You can airlift one unit (of any type) from an airport per turn. This unit can airlift to any other city that has not yet been airlifted into on the same turn.

In other words:
        outgoing limit per airport, per turn: 1 unit
        incoming limit per city, per turn: 1 unit

If city has already had a unit come in, land next unit into another city. In Warlords, you can land into a city of a civ that is a permanent ally, but not of a vassal (vassal restriction to be changed in the imminent patch).

Comment

Additional restriction: units to be airlifted must start the turn in the airport city, and cannot move after being airlifted (until next turn).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
            You can airlift one unit (of any type) from an airport per turn. This unit can airlift to any other city that has not yet been airlifted into on the same turn.

In other words:
            outgoing limit per airport, per turn: 1 unit
            incoming limit per city, per turn: 1 unit

If city has already had a unit come in, land next unit into another city. In Warlords, you can land into a city of a civ that is a permanent ally, but not of a vassal (vassal restriction to be changed in the imminent patch).
            If you have an airport the incoming limit for that city is unlimited in my experience.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Speaking of Airports.

Is there an easy way to tell if a city has an Airport in it from just looking at Graphic?

When I have dozens of cities, it gets to be a real pain having to open up each city menu to find out if there's an Airport or not.

Comment

wow, forgot about this

I have yet to build 1 airport in anygame since C4 vanilla, quess I am a land-lubber

sad or what
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                  wow, forgot about this

I have yet to build 1 airport in anygame since C4 vanilla, quess I am a land-lubber

sad or what
                  I've found that they're really pretty useless if you start in ancient times.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderer27
                    Is there an easy way to tell if a city has an Airport in it from just looking at Graphic?

When I have dozens of cities, it gets to be a real pain having to open up each city menu to find out if there's an Airport or not.
                    You have to look HARD (and close up) to identify a city with an airport just by looking at it.

What I do is put a sign on the city. Instead of typing "airport" on the sign, I just put an "8" (for 'propeller').

Comment

Working...
                    X