Beaker decay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaker decay

Is there any and how long does it take to start?
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

No beaker decay.

Comment

There's only *hammer* decay, as far as I know. No idea how fast that will set in (after 10 turns?)

Comment

I remember I read it somewhere that 'Civ may forgot' part of certain tech that is put on hold.
        but, I could be wrong.

Comment

what are you guys talking about and what is hammer decay?
          As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
          atrocities.
          - Voltaire

Comment

Hammer decay is loss of hammers for those items which are half-built in a cities queue and haven't been worked upon for some time.

Blake, as you appear the most knowledgeable of inner workings of the cIV, could you clarify how much exactly turns it takes to kick in?
            Also is there any differences in decay start time between units/buildings/wonders?
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I know for sure there is a difference in hammer decay initialization due to game speeds.

Comment

There's no beaker decay. But you rarely half-develop technologies anyway.

The only one I sometimes half-develop is scientific theory. I don't want it, but I want to be able to get it quickly, and move on to physics with great haste, if another AI gets it. So I research it until 1 turn left, then move on to other techs.

It's really annoying that there is no way to spread a religion anymore once you have scientific theory, if you didn't yet build monasteries. After scientific theory you should be able to build missionaries without a monestary, imho. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                  It's really annoying that there is no way to spread a religion anymore once you have scientific theory, if you didn't yet build monasteries. After scientific theory you should be able to build missionaries without a monestary, imho. Oh well.
                  After scientific theory you CAN build missionaries without a monestary.
                  But you have to use the Organized Religion civic.

Comment

Pst, Organized Religion...

Oh bugger, too slow...
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                      The only one I sometimes half-develop is scientific theory. I don't want it, but I want to be able to get it quickly, and move on to physics with great haste, if another AI gets it. So I research it until 1 turn left, then move on to other techs.
                      When I am confident enough, I do that on Liberalism so I could get better tech.

Comment

Yeah liberalism is a good one, but I'm rarely confident enough for that. I do sometimes research other techs when I have education and none of the other AIs have it. But as soon as there is someone with both education and philosophy, I start researching liberalism without further delay

Besides, you can always get nationalism, which is a pretty darn expensive tech anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                          Hammer decay is loss of hammers for those items which are half-built in a cities queue and haven't been worked upon for some time.

Blake, as you appear the most knowledgeable of inner workings of the cIV, could you clarify how much exactly turns it takes to kick in?
                          Also is there any differences in decay start time between units/buildings/wonders?
                          10 turns for units.
                          50 turns for buildings and wonders.

I don't believe that changes with game speed, but don't quote me on that...

edit: Actually I think you can quote me on that. It doesn't change with game speed.
                          Decay rate is 1% per turn for buildings, 2% for units. Minimum of 1.

Comment

I wonder, if you would build part of a building, change to something else, then switch back to the building for a single turn and once again switch to something else... would the timer for decay change back to 50 turns?
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Recollection from vanila CivIV manual (paraphrase): "You can switch research between techs. But don't delay completing research too long - afer a while your civ may forget what it has learned."

I don't have the manual with me atm, but I can look it up later and give a precise quote. I had always interpreted this to mean that you can lose beakers. I don't recall ever observing this in practice though.

Comment

Working...
                              X