Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AI prepared to declare war but not cancel deals with third party - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI prepared to declare war but not cancel deals with third party - why?

I've noticed this quite often during my Civ4 playing time. I almost always play with No Tech Trades on, so I very rarely try to bribe the AI into doing anything, as they wish for huge amounts of money. Either they will gift it to me, or they won't do it. But I have noticed, that AIs very very rarely will even consider (IE - it is redded out) the possibility of cancelling their deals with someone. Infact, fairly often, they will consider declaring war but not cancelling trades - funny when the former implies the latter.

Does anyone know why this is so? It's hardly important, just curious.

Ah, there are lots of little quirks like that. I think it's pretty hilarious that AIs would rather capitulate than give me even a single tech for peace.

Comment

You still won't get the tech, and they can't be attacked by you ever again if they capitulate. Might seem wierd, but it may make more sense to the AI.

Comment

I've noticed as well; in fact I don't think I've ever seen a 'stop trading with' option not redded out. Somewhat frustrating since sometimes I'd rather not have a war ally but still would like to hinder my enemy.
        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Selfish self-interest.

Say the AI wants the targets gems.

There is two ways they can get the gems.
          Trade for them.
          Conquer for them.

Breaking off trade results in no gems at all.

Comment

Good point.
            LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Virdrago
              You still won't get the tech, and they can't be attacked by you ever again if they capitulate. Might seem wierd, but it may make more sense to the AI.
              What the hell? :S Care to rewrite that one for me ...

Blake - good point. It's a bit daft though.

Comment

It's not that daft, actually. The AI sees war as something that can possibly benefit it. It can get more cities, resources, room, whatever. And it sees breaking deals as something that brings no good at all - which is true. So it's only willing to do so if it likes you, sort of a gesture of good will, and will usually want some "compensation" for its troubles, too.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Welshie

What the hell? :S Care to rewrite that one for me ...

Blake - good point. It's a bit daft though.
                  If a civ gives you a tech for peace, 10 turns later you can attack it, have it sue for peace (for a tech), rinse, lather, and repeat.

If the civ capitulates, you cannot demand a tech from it after it becomes your vassal. Well, you can, but if they refuse, you cannot declare war on it, so they keep the tech you want, and you can't attack it. So it would rather capitulate and keep what it has than have you take techs every ten turns and slowly take over the country.

That's what I was trying to say. Hope this clarified things for you.

Comment

It clarifies what you mean, I still don't see what relevance your comments have to my situation..I'm not explicitly talking about tech trading ( I always play with it turned off anyways) nor do I mention vassals.

It's not that daft, actually. The AI sees war as something that can possibly benefit it. It can get more cities, resources, room, whatever. And it sees breaking deals as something that brings no good at all - which is true. So it's only willing to do so if it likes you, sort of a gesture of good will, and will usually want some "compensation" for its troubles, too.
                    This is true. Surely this makes the option largely redundent though, except when it occurs that both possibilities are enabled and you are in the position of wanting AI 1 to cancel trades with AI 2 but not go to war.

Comment

Originally posted by Welshie
                      It clarifies what you mean, I still don't see what relevance your comments have to my situation..I'm not explicitly talking about tech trading ( I always play with it turned off anyways) nor do I mention vassals.
                      I'm foolish. I was replying to Outsiders comment. Sorry about that.

Comment

I thought that when a vassal refused to give you what you request then that would cause war.

Well I rarly have vassals. I prefer conquering.

Comment

Originally posted by ben04
                          I thought that when a vassal refused to give you what you request then that would cause war.

Well I rarly have vassals. I prefer conquering.
                          Only if they refuse to give you a resource. You can still demand other things, but they don't have to give it...

Comment

Working...
                          X