Never give up hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never give up hope

Since the day I first bought the Civ4. I struggled to no ends to get SMTP to work.

As of yesterday, my first successful in game send made it out

Never give up hope

There are many polytoners to thank

Top of the list is

Paddy the Scot
    Grandpa Troll

sorry if I missed anyone
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Re: Never give up hope

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
    Since the day I first bought the Civ4. I struggled to no ends to get SMTP to work.
    What is SMTP?

Edit:
    SMPT; I know there i a mail protocal called SMPT... but it supposed to be about Civ4?
    Last edited by CrONoS; October 9, 2006, 15:07.
    bleh

Comment

I assume he means for PBEM. Civ4 can send your PBEM saves on to the next player automatically... IF you can get it working with a SMTP server, which as I understand can be a bit difficult. I personally never succeeded.

Comment

@Kloreep
        Ok, that's what I thought about!
        tx
        bleh

Comment

SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

Civ4 uses it to handle PbEM saves, and PitBoss turn notifications. Whilst it is supposedly simple to code, it is virtually impossible to get working in every case. I was under the impression that PbEM had no real problems, but I knew that PitBoss emails were simply pot-luck (hence the large number of 3rd-party apps to replace that function).
          Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
          "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Autosend in PBEM doesn't work for everyone but seems to be either/or - either it works for all your PBEM's or it won't work at all.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

or in my case

simple

minded

totally

pwn'd

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                Autosend in PBEM doesn't work for everyone but seems to be either/or - either it works for all your PBEM's or it won't work at all.
                Yeah, it's just a question of whether you can get it working with the server you want to use, which I believe depends in part on what level of security it demands. So far as I know, the PBEM auto-send is reliable as long as you can get it working in the first place.

Comment

the security part or lack there of is what really suprised me.

Now its working, I dont want to change a setting just yet.....scared

Comment

Working...
                  X